Age Of Empires 2: The Age Of Kings (PC)
Press [Enter] to display the chat window and type one of following codes to activate the corresponding cheat function. Note: The codes can not be enabled in a multi-player game unless the host selects "Allow Cheats" check box when the game is set-up.
|1000 stone||rock on|
|1000 gold||robin hood|
|1000 food||cheese steak jimmy's|
|Control animals only||natural wonders|
|Instant victory||i r winner|
|Tall, fast moving, useless villager1||i love the monkey head|
|Infantry unit that acts like a monkey but has 99 attack, 99 armor, 99 range, and 9 HP||furious the monkey boy|
|Shelby Cobra car with twin machine guns3||how do you turn this on|
|Kill indicated opponent||torpedo<number>|
|Destroy all opponents||black death|
|Saboteur unit||to smithereens|
1. This code may not be enabled in campaigns.
2. Note: This will effect all players.
3. The car will not appear unless there is a town center present.
, , , , , and
Cheat mode (command line)
Start the game with one of the following command line parameters to activate the corresponding cheat function.
|Effect||Command line parameter|
|800 x 600 screen resolution||800|
|1024 x 768 screen resolution||1024|
|1280 x 1024 screen resolution||1280|
|Auto save game||autompsave|
|Fix display problems with some video cards||Mfill|
|Fix SoundBlaster AWE freezes||Msync|
|Disable all music.||NoMusic|
|Standard mouse pointer||NormalMouse|
|Disable all sounds except during FMV sequences||NoSound|
|No pre-game FMV sequences||NoStartup|
|Disable all terrain sounds||NoTerrainSound|
Cheat mode (alternate)
Enter one of the following codes during game play to activate the corresponding cheat function.
|Build immutable structure||[Ctrl] + P|
|Alternate resource menu||[Ctrl] + T|
|Fast construction||[Ctrl] + Q|
|View ending sequence||[Ctrl] + C|
Press Q + W + E + R + T + Y to edit the colors of the buildings and people.
Demo version: Cheat mode
Press [Enter] to display the chat window and type one of following codes to activate the corresponding cheat function.
|1000 food||pepperoni pizza|
|Full map||reveal map|
|No fog of war||no fog|
Press [Enter] during game play, then type a
number from 1 to 30 and press [Enter] again
to hear various phrases such as "Don't point that thing at
- Use the following trick to rapidly enter the cheat codes and get resources quickly. For wood, press [Enter], type woodstock, press [Shift] + [Home] to highlight the word, then press [Ctrl] + C to copy it. Press [Enter] to activate the cheat. Press [Enter] again, then press [Ctrl] + V to or [Shift] + [Insert] paste the word on the screen for activation. Repeat to get resources quickly. This may be used with the quarry, coinage, pepperoni pizza, and photon man codes.
, , and
- When you do a random map, use a team islands setting and have seven players. Make three of them your allies, and four enemies. Start the game and go to the third button from the top right corner. Put check marks next to all your allies and click on "Food Please", "Wood Please", "Stone Please" or "Gold Please" in the box below. The only resource your allies will not give you is gold.
More bases advantage
To have a better chance of winning, you might want
to build more than one base. Enlarge the base you start out with,
making it completely fortified with at least two castles. Then,
send a scout cavalry, or some other fast moving unit, to the opposite
side of the map from your base. After you have checked the area
and confirmed that it is safe, send a villager to build a castle
at that location and fortify that base. This is very helpful if
your enemy knows where one of your bases are located, especially
during online play.
When you build a market, there is a chance that a rival
tribe will ask you to send them a certain amount of wood, stone,
gold, and food. When they do, click on "Diplomacy" or
press [Alt] + D and click "Ally" on the
name of that tribe. They will become an ally free of charge. However,
when you do this you will no longer be able to align yourself
with any other tribes. This is helpful if there are four tribes
in the game.
When you are allies with others, do not build a market
to avoid giving them resources.
Saving your villagers
- Use the following trick to keep your villagers alive while hunting boars. If you are in the Castle Age, create some monks and place them near the villagers as the kill the boar. The monk will continue to replenish the villagers' health as they kill the boar.
- If your villagers are building a castle or tower in enemy territory that takes time, send many villagers to build a small tower that can be constructed easily. After that is built, build your castle and if anyone attacks you, you can either go to the tower, or the tower can shoot at them and the enemy will not harm you.
Easy opponent elimination
At the beginning of any random map game, at least one
CPU opponent will become your ally if you give them 100 of the
resource that they request. Remember the opponent that asked for
the resources, as this will be important later. Wait at least
until the castle age, then give that opponent the resources they
asked for. At this point during the game, you should have either
well over 4,000 of all resources or a large military (depending
on your population limit). Either way, that payment should be
no more than a small investment. Next, set your stance with them
to ally. When you have a large enough army, switch your stance
to either enemy or neutral and attack them. They should be almost
completely eliminated before they switch their own stance to enemy.
The trick requires a large amount of stone and wood. When you reach the Feudal Age, build walls all around you, even at the water's edge (in a straight line if possible) This will ensure that the enemy does not land his troops, and will give you time to attack. While the wall is in construction, build two or three gates, preferably spaced apart. Then, build three gates directly behind the ones you just built to add more defense. Next, build three towers to the left and right of each gate. Place a Bombard Tower at the end of each. Repeat this pattern until it covers the entire wall, even by the water (to defend against the galleons). Then, do the reverse, which is instead of towers use Bombard Towers. When that is done, finish it off with a wall as the inner coating to seal those towers in. The purpose of this, is that if the enemy is lucky enough to break through the first wall and the tower as well as the Bombard Towers, you have some insurance to hold them off a little longer. Normally, you would not need to constantly repair the towers unless the wall breaks, allowing the enemy to attack them. However they may sometimes use a trebuchet, ram, or catapult to get at your.
- For easy victory over the CPU under any difficulty setting, place eight to twelve villagers into three control groups. Then, have two control groups working on gold and one working on stone until all of the stone piles and gold piles are gone. Next, build at least two of every building and upgrade everything as fast as possible. If done quick enough you should be able to either swarm your enemy or surround him with castles.
- Choose the Spanish and create lots of their riflemen and the things that launch rocks. Look on the map and see which empire is the largest. Go to the vine icon in the corner. Make the largest empire your ally. Send all of your troops and rock launchers into the main part of their empire. Then, click on the vine and make them an enemy. They will be taken by surprise and you will easily defeat them.
- First, make as many allies as possible. Advance through as many ages as you can to upgrade all your units. Make sure you can build Towers and Castles. Next, go directly next to your ally's main city and surround it with towers. Build a castle every so often on your way from your city to theirs, so they cannot counterattack. Next, build up an army of siege weapons (for the buildings) and cavalry (for everyone else), and position them inside your ally's city. Finally, switch them to "Enemy", sit back, and watch the city crumble.
- When you are playing a random map, use a team islands setting and have seven players. Set three of them as your allies, and four as enemies. Start the game and go to the third button from the top right corner. Place check marks next to all your allies and click on "Food Please", "Wood Please", "Stone Please" or "Gold Please" in the box below. The only resource your allies will not give you is gold.
- Build any type of tower. Place some of your military units behind the tower so that your opponents cannot see them. When they attack the tower, have your units come out and kill your opponents.
- If you are playing on a map with lots of water, stay or walk near the shore or in the shallows. Use a heavy demolition ship to bomb your opponents. One heavy demolition ship can take out at least twenty infantry, monks, archers or light cavalry with it, or several scorpions and onagers. Two ships can take out knights, camels and trebuchets. Three ships can take out rams. Do not use them to bomb elephants; it is too costly unless you have a lot of resources.
- During a battle, always put swordsman on flat ground and archers on hilly ground.
- At first in a regicide you will get ten villagers to start. Put three on wood, three on food, two on gold, and one on stone. Have your last villager build your military base. Then, slowly add villagers from your town center and put them on resources.
- If you build a long wall with many gates and your peasants are opening the gates for your enemies, you can block the gates.-Click the gate then click the icon that appears in the left corner so it will remain closed until you open it again. Note: If you close all gates not even your allies can get resources from your land.
- When you are being attacked by an enemy and they are moving to your town center (or something you can garrison people in), click your stable and set the gather point to that building. Make some units. When your building ungarrisons, your men they will kill the enemy.
- In a three player game, when you become allied with one player, construct 15 battering rams and take them to your ally's kingdom. Place them near the important buildings, such as the town center, etc. Then, take a mangonel, select "Attack Ground", and Right Click the ally's building. He will become an enemy. Use all your battering rams to destroy the ex-ally.
- Use the following trick when playing against the CPU and you have a neutral tribe and an ally that is currently at war with that neutral tribe. To help your ally, create a group of five villagers. Upgrade the Loon tech. Create university, advance the fortified wall, and gather stones as much as possible. Send the villagers to the ally base and create three to five fortified walls near the neutral tribe's building. You want them to attack the newly created wall, and thus the adjacent building. While they are attacking their own building, create more fortified walls besides another building (for example the monastery or town center).
- Always try to build gates instead of walls around your city. They cost the same, but have a difference between their attack chances. If a wall is attacked one time, it is attacked 0.001 times. They will just roam near your city outside, but cannot attack your city. Always try to make your city wide open. They cannot attack the gates, but will attack the buildings such as houses and barracks by means of archers, mangonels, and trebuchets. Do not make towers and castles for defense near your gates. The gates will not be attacked and you can progress without defense until you can attack. Your first priority should be to surround your city with gates and capture large areas and resources.
- To gain more resources you must create more villages. If the population is 75, you will need no less than 25 villagers so that they will provide more resources and allow you to create more soldiers. Before starting a multi-player game, take a tribe that has more research so that your men and buildings will be strong enough to withstand any type of attack.
- This trick requires a created map with at least one shah on it. Play the map and select your shah. Bring it over to an enemy unit or building (preferably a house). Right Click on that object. The shah will begin attacking it rapidly. The only drawback is that the shah has a very weak attack.
- Instead of building walls, build watch towers in a wall like formation. In front of this "wall", build a castle.
- You can take advantage of the AI by building a wall around your entire base except for a small and heavily fortified opening. The CPU will only enter through the opening you left and will get slaughtered if you have archers. You can go further by making a maze-like entrance, which will increase the time the enemy spends getting fired upon.
- Use the following trick to create a fortress that cannot be conquered by your enemy. Set up a game in "The Black Forest". You will start in a very large forest with a small village, depending on the settings. Death Match is recommended to get lots of resources. Make sure you have a Onager or something that can destroy lots of trees very quickly. Start tunneling into the trees, making walls and gates along the way. Place towers with archers behind each gate. Make large areas where you can put castles, barracks, churches, and town centers. This tactic will require about one hour.
- Take a few villagers near your enemy's base. Build two of each building. Load all the buildings up with each type of unit. Cut the wood down with you villagers and ambush your enemy.
- The Japanese Samurai unit is very powerful once fully upgraded. Get ten capped Rams and put four Samurai in each and any town will fall. Accompany the capped Rams with Cavalry and target your enemy's Town Center and Castles. Once they are destroyed, release the Samurai and watch them destroy everything.
Easy ambush win
First, set "Diplomacy" to "Ally"
with lock teams off and also the opponent set "Diplomacy"
to "Ally". Then, build an army strong enough to destroy
the towers and castles (if there are any), such as Onagers and
Rams. Bring your army within your ally's walls and set "Diplomacy"
to "Enemy". Then, attack at will.
- Build a Monastery as soon as you reach the Castle age. Collect as many Relics as possible. For every Relic you have, you will get one gold per second. For example, if you have five Relics, you will get five gold per second.
- Build a Market as far away from your allies as possible. Then build 20 to 30 Trade Carts. Send them to trade with your allies. After all of your Trade Carts are built, you will get a lot of gold. If you have 30 built, in about ten minutes you will have earned at least 10,000 gold.
- If you are in the Black Forest, get over 20 Villagers to chop Wood (30 would work better). After you have 20,000 Wood, sell it for a lot of gold.
- Destroy your weakest opponent. Finish off everything except its market. Make sure that the path between your market and opponent's market is secure. Route at least twenty trade carts to trade and get easy gold.
Efficient boar hunting
Gather all of the villagers that you want to hunt the
boar with in between it and your town center (preferably closer
to the town center). Next, send your scout cavalry to attack the
boar. As soon as the animal begins to attack the scout, order
him to flee behind the villagers, then command the villagers to
shoot the boar. This saves valuable time and resources that otherwise
would be wasted by building a mill beside the boar. It also makes
the trip to the town center or mill much quicker. Another way
to efficiently hunt boar is to attack it with military units until
it is low on health, then finishing it off with villagers. Note:
Boars hunted with military units will not be worth meat.
Explore enemy territory without being attacked
Advance to the Feudal age, build a Market, then create a Trade Cart. Use the Trade Cart to safely explore your opponent's territory. If your opponent is neutral, they will not harm the Trade Cart. Another trick is to create several Trade Carts and place them evenly across your opponent's area to see everything they are doing, without having to spend several thousand gold
to research Spies/Treason.
Type in the number that appears next to the taunt to access it easily (for example, "Long time, no siege" and "Don't point that thing at me").
Ensemble Studios logo
Enable the marco code in mission one of the William Wallace campaign. You can see the Ensemble Studios logo on the west side of the map.
Demo version: Multi-player coastal map in single player mode
To play the multi-player coastal map with out going
online, find the scenario folder and located the "Trial Multiplayer
Map" and "Trial Coastal Map". Rename "Trial
Muitiplayer Map" to "Trial Coastal Map" and rename
"Trial Coastal Map" to "Trial Multiplayer Map".
Start the game, select "custom Scenario" and choose
on the map name "Trial Coastal Map". When the game begins,
it will actually be the Trial multi-player map with four enemies
instead of two. Note: Backup the files before renaming them.
Enemy believes you are an ally
Go to Death Match mode and put your opponents on Team
1. Set yourself on Team 1. Activate the "Team Together"
option and play. The enemy will think you are an ally, even when
you switch your stance with them to enemy.
Walk on water
Create a scenario and make all allies and enemies as
desired, but have at least two enemies. Make the map have water
and build an enemy bridge or go to a campaign with a bridge (for
example, Attila the Hun). Enable the torpedo code, followed
by the number of whatever player it is with a bridge. The bridge
will disappear. Then, click a unit and walk on the "bridge".
Demo version: Lose old saved games on Windows XP
When you click on the "Age of Empires II: Age of Kings Demo" icon for the first time on Windows XP, it states that you need to reinstall Age of Empires II Demo before
you can play it. You do have to install Age of Empires II: Age of Kings Demo again, but you can keep your old Age of Empires II Demo, as well. Once you have installed Age of Empires II Demo again, go to your old shortcut to Age Of Empires Demo and click on it. The game should launch and act as it did when you had your other system, have all its saved
names, but some of the music files may not play. Note: You need to have a shortcut to your old Age Of Empires Demo before installing Windows XP and before reinstalling the Age Of Empires Demo.
Strategy guides from GameFAQs