Dark Souls (Xbox 360)
Defeating the Black Knight in Undead Burg
Early on when you are not that strong of a character, the Black Knight in the Undead Burg can easily kill you with three or four strikes. An easy way to defeat him is to stock up on large arrows and throwing knives. You will be making use of the bridge you previously crossed while being targeted by firebombers. Run to the Black Knight and shoot him with an arrow to get his attention. As soon as he starts chasing you, flee back to the room that previously had two axe users and the undead knight. Turn around and close the door. Then, go out on the bridge, take out your bow and arrow, and start shooting him. When you run out of arrows, change to throwing knives. After a few moments the Black Knight will fall and you will gain a nice set of 600 souls. Then, sit at a bonfire and repeat the entire process. Note: The Black knight does not respawn except for two later in the game.
fpcytr orta argl
Defeating the Giant on the roof before the golem in Anor Londo
Stand in the doorway and hit his legs, then go down the stairs when he attacks and repeat the process. When he falls to his knees, use a two-handed attack with your weapon.
Defeating the Giant Stone Guards up the large stairs in Anor Londo palace
Walk up the left side until you see the top of the left guard's shield. Aim your bow at the right guard's chest. Fire three poison arrows to poison him. Be patient and he will die. If you do not have poison arrows, use what you have until he is defeated. Then, go down and walk up the right side hugging the rail step onto the platform. The guard will look at you, walk to your right, and turn back around. Then do the same thing you did to the first guard.
Defeating the Giant Stone Knights in Anor Londo great hall
Once you have made it inside the hall with the Giant Knights, Archer, path to Giant Blacksmith along the wall down from broken window and white light (Boss), run to the far left end with the door and a lever to the left of it. Move the lever to open the doors. This creates a shortcut back to the first bonfire. If you run outside, the knights will go back to where they were standing. Walk back just inside the doors. Fire three poison arrows at the knight's back. Poison him and fire a few regular arrows to speed up his death. Next, go to the point of the second light diamond on the floor just before the spot where you killed the knight. Repeat the process to kill the other knight. They also drop Titanite Chunks, which are needed for the lightning weapon upgrade, if your weapons are at level 10, from Andre the blacksmith across from Sen's fortress in the basement.
Lightning Imps to the left of giant stone guards in Anor Londo
In the hall with Giant Knights, go out of broken window and to the right. Drop down behind the fence. Collect the item and kill the imps through the fence with your bow and arrows. Once the Imps are defeated, walk through hole in the fence and open the gate next to where the Stone Guard was standing. Next, kill the two other Imps. You have just created a shortcut to the first bonfire and the Giant Blacksmith.
Armored Rhino helm
When fighting the Armored Rhino in the Undead Burg, defeat it with your weapons and not the nearby fire pits. It has a chance to drop the creature's head, which can be used as a helm.
Easy souls and items
Early in the game, after you defeat the Taurus Demon boss, you will continue on to a bridge that will have a dragon at the end of it. The dragon will breathe fire down the length of the bridge. In the center there are undead and a staircase that leads down to a bonfire. After you rest at the bonfire, you can go back up to the top of the bridge, and if you quickly step out on to the path then roll back down the stairs, the dragon will breathe fire and kill the undead. You will get the souls, humanity and items. You can rest at the bonfire to respawn the undead and continue the process as many times as desired. Additionally, the undead may drop the Hollow Soldier Shield that has 100% physical damage resist and good resistances against magic, fire and lightning. This is a very useful shield when starting out. Also, if you have a bow and about 40 large arrows (which you can buy from a merchant in the area around that bonfire), you can go under the bridge and shoot the dragons tail which will be severed after about 30 to 35 hits and you will receive the Drake Blade. It is a powerful sword that requires 16 strength to wield, but will last a long time and make Boss fights much easier.
Avoid repeat game play
Use the following trick after getting killed, and you do not want to repeat game play to get humanity and souls back. Quit the game or turn off the system immediately and save. The game now has saved the fact that you have been killed and made the bloodstain with souls and humanity, but still has the old saved location. You should be standing a few feet from your bloodstain.
Easy "Bond of a Pyromancer" achievement or trophy
The Pyromancies are found at the following locations.
- Acid Surge: Painted World of Ariamis
- Black Flame: Chasm of the Abyss
- Chaos Fire Whip: Lost Izalith
- Chaos Storm: reach +2 in the Chaos Servant Covenant
- Combustion: Laurentius of the Great Swamp/Quelana of Izalith
- Fire Orb: Laurentius of the Great Swamp/Quelana of Izalith
- Fire Surge: Painted World of Ariamis
- Fire Tempest: Quelana of Izalith
- Fire Whip: Quelana of Izalith
- Fireball: Laurentius of the Great Swamp/Quelana of Izalith
- Firestorm: Quelana of Izalith
- Flash Sweat: Laurentius of the Great Swamp
- Great Chaos Fireball: join the Chaos Servant Covenant
- Great Combustion: Quelana of Izalith
- Great Fireball: Quelana of Izalith
- Iron Flesh: Laurentius of the Great Swamp
- Poison Mist: Eingyi/Blighttown
- Power Within: Blighttown
- Toxic Mist: Eingyi
- Undead Rapport: Quelana of Izalith
Use the following path to reach the indicated area or person.
- Painted World of Airamis: Accessed from the painting in Anor Londo after you have recovered the Peculiar Doll from your cell in the Undead Asylum.
- Chasm of the Abyss: DLC area.
- Chaos covenant/Eingyi: Can be found behind an illusory wall between the Blighttown bell and the Demon Ruins bonfire.
- Quelana of Izalith: Travel to the right of the swamp bonfire of Blighttown to find her sitting next to one of the pillars.
- Laurentius of the Great Swamp: He becomes a vendor in Firelink after you rescue him from The Depths.
Easy "Chaos Weapon" achievement or trophy
Vamos can ascend weapons on the Chaos path after getting the Chaos Flame Ember. Creation of a Chaos weapon requires a +5 Fire weapon, Red Titanite Chunks for upgrading to +4, and a Red Titanite Slab for upgrading to +5, as well as the required souls. Vamos can be found at the bottom of The Catacombs. It can be reached from the spiraling staircase by falling onto a series of ledges and into a hole. After reaching him, he will open up a shortcut to the wheel skeleton valley.
Easy "Covenant: Blade of the Darkmoon" achievement or trophy
Do not kill Dark Sun Gwyndolin. If you already killed Gwynevere, request absolution from Oswald. Collect the Darkmoon Seance Ring in The Catacombs. Go to the bottom level of the rotating elevator in Anor Londo to find the Darkmoon Tomb bonfire. Past the bonfire, Gwyn's statue will disappear to reveal a fog gate if you are wearing the Darkmoon Seance Ring. If you killed Gwynevere, the statue will disappear when approached. Go toward the fog gate and Dark Sun Gwyndolin will ask you to swear fealty to the Blades of the Darkmoon. Kneel at the fog door to join the covenant.
Easy "Covenant: Chaos Servant" achievement or trophy
Do not kill Quelaag's sister. After defeating Chaos Witch Quelaag, enter the circular room beneath the Bell of Awakening, with cobwebs lining eggs on the sides. Pass through the illusory wall to the right to find an egg-infected man. Answer "Yes" to his question and he will move. You can also kill him and join without repercussions but this will cost you his services. Talking to Quelaag's Sister will give you an option to join the covenant.
Easy "Covenant: Darkwraith" achievement or trophy
Note: Giving the Lordvessel to Frampt blocks you from entering this covenant in your current game session. Accessing the Darkwraith covenant requires being able to speak with Kaathe. To access Kaathe, the Covenant of Artorias ring is required (dropped from the Great Grey Wolf Sif), as well as the Key to the Seal (obtained from Ingward), and defeating the Four Kings. After defeating the Four Kings, Kaathe will appear. Answer "Yes" to his question and he will teleport you to the Firelink Altar. Speak to him again in the Abyss after this event to join the Darkwraiths.
Easy "Covenant: Forest Hunter" achievement or trophy
You must not have attacked Alvina. To open the door leading to the Alvina, purchase the Crest of Artorias from Andre of Astora in Undead Parish. It is also possible to reach the covenant without opening the door, but this will require significantly more time and defeating more enemies. Find Alvina at the Darkroot Garden, standing just before the bridge linking to the ruined structure. Answer "Yes" to her questions.
Easy "Covenant: Gravelord Servant" achievement or trophy
Do not kill Gravelord Nito and obtain at least one Eye of Death. You can find some Eyes of Death near to where you can access the Gravelord Servant covenant. They are also dropped rarely from Basilisks in the Depths and The Great Hollow. Then, find the area in The Catacombs with a row of coffins guarded by a Titanite Demon. One coffin near the end of the hall, before awakening the Titanite Demon, has an open lid. Enter it. After about thirty seconds, if you do not have active phantoms, a short cinematic will show you being teleported to an enclosed room. Pray to the "Sarcophagus Gravelord" there.
Easy "Covenant: Path of the Dragon" achievement or trophy
Talk to the Stone Dragon at Ash Lake. To reach Ash Lake, travel from Blighttown to the The Great Hollow. Move to the very bottom then follow the path along the beach until it ends. The entrance to The Great Hollow is behind an illusory wall on the left side of the Blighttown swamp.
Easy "Covenant: Princess's Guard" achievement or trophy
Talk to Gwynevere after receiving the Lordvessel from her in Anor Londo.
Easy "Covenant: Warrior of Sunlight" achievement or trophy
You must have 25 Faith. This number is lowered by 5 for every successful co-op Boss kill as a white phantom. You can then kneel in front of the broken statue on the balcony behind the Hellkite Dragon.
Easy "Covenant: Way of White" achievement or trophy
Talk to either Petrus at the Firelink Shrine or Rhea after you have rescued her from the Tomb of the Giants. Note: If you chose to start as a Knight or Cleric, you will already be in the Way of White but this will not earn "Covenant: Way of White".
Easy "Crystal Weapon" achievement or trophy
The Giant Blacksmith gains the ability to ascend weapons in the Crystal path after receiving the Crystal Ember. Creation of a Crystal weapon requires a standard +10 weapon, Titanite Chunks for upgrading to +4, a Titanite Slab for upgrading to +5, and the required souls. The Crystal ember is located in the Duke's Archives.
Easy "Dark Lord" achievement or trophy
Exit the arena where the Chosen Undead felled Gwyn instead of lighting the bonfire.
Easy "Defeat Crossbreed Priscilla" achievement or trophy
Crossbreed Priscilla is an optional Boss in the Painted World of Ariamis. She initially asks you to leave the world without fighting. To reach the Painted World, collect the Peculiar Doll found in the Northern Undead Asylum, upon returning there later in the game. When searching the large guarded painting in Anor Londo, you will get pulled into a cloistered area. To return to the Asylum, climb to the top of the ruins in Firelink Shrine and reach the Giant Crow's nest.
Easy "Defeat the Dark Sun Gwyndolin" achievement or trophy
The tomb of Lord Gwyn can be reached by using the spiral staircase on the rotating bridge. The bridge must be in its lowest position. Descend to the second accessible bonfire in Anor Londo. Lord Gwyn's Boss room will appear if you are wearing the Darkmoon Seance Ring, which can be found in The Catacombs, or if you killed Gwynevere without the Darkmoon Seance Ring.
Easy "Defeat the Four Kings" achievement or trophy
The Four Kings are found in the Abyss, which is accessed through the New Londo Ruins. You must first collect the Key to the Seal from Ingward in order to drain the water from the ruins, as well as the Covenant of Artorias, which is a ring dropped by Great Grey Wolf Sif, to safely enter their battle arena.
Easy "Divine Weapon" achievement or trophy
The Divine Upgrade Path is a form of weapon ascension that becomes available to Andre of Astora after he receives the Divine Ember found in Darkroot Garden. Giving him the Large Divine Ember found in the Tomb of the Giants will let him ascend Divine weapons to at least +6. Creation of Divine weapons requires a standard +5 weapon, Green Titanite Shards (for upgrading up to +5), White Titanite Chunks (for upgrading from +6 to +9), and a White Titanite Slab (for upgrading from +9 to +10).
Easy "Enchanted Weapon" achievement or trophy
The Enchanted upgrade path becomes available by ascension after giving Rickert of Vinheim the Enchanted Ember. It requires a +5 Magic weapon, Blue Titanite Chunks to upgrade to +4, and a Blue Titanite Slab to upgrade to +5.
Easy "Fire Weapon" achievement or trophy
The Fire upgrade path is available from Vamos by default. He can ascend Fire weapons from +5 to +6 only after he is given the Large Flame Ember. To create a Fire weapon, you must have Green Titanite Shards, a standard +5 weapon, and the required souls. Upgrading further from Fire +5 and higher requires Red Titanite Chunks to +9, and a Red Titanite Slab for +10. Vamos can be found at the bottom of The Catacombs. It can be reached from the spiraling staircase by falling onto a series of ledges and into a hole. After reaching him, he will open up a shortcut to the wheel skeleton valley.
Easy "Lightning Weapon" achievement or trophy
The Lightning upgrade path is available from the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo through ascension. It does not require any ember. To create a Lightning weapon, have a standard weapon +10, Titanite Chunks up to +4, a Titanite Slab to upgrade to +5, and the required souls.
Easy "Magic Weapon" achievement or trophy
The Magic path is available by default to the blacksmith Rickert of Vinheim, who can be found early in the New Londo Ruins. At first he can only ascend Magic weapons to +5, but he will later have the ability to ascend to +6 when given the Large Magic Ember from the Duke's Archives. To create a Magic weapon, you will need a +5 standard weapon, Green Titanite Shards (for +0 to +5 upgrades), Blue Titanite Chunks (for +6 to +9 upgrades), and a Blue Titanite Slab (for the +10 upgrade), as well as the required number of souls.
Easy "Occult Weapon" achievement or trophy
The Occult upgrade path is a form of weapon ascension done by Andre of Astora. He will gain the ability to upgrade weapons down its path after receiving the Dark Ember. Creation of an Occult weapon requires a +5 Divine weapon and a White Titanite Chunk. Upgrading an Occult weapon further requires White Titanite Chunks for +4, and a White Titanite Slab for +5. The Dark Ember is located in the Painted World of Airamis.
Easy "Prayer of a Maiden" achievement or trophy
The Miracles are found at the following locations.
- Bountiful Sunlight: Princess Guard Covenant/The Duke's Archives Pisaca drop.
- Darkmoon Blade: Reach +1 in the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant.
- Emit Force: Siegmeyer of Catarina.
- Force: Petrus of Thorolund/Rhea of Thorolund.
- Gravelord Greatsword Dance: Reach +1 in the Gravelord Servant Covenant.
- Gravelord Sword Dance: Join the Gravelord Servant Covenant.
- Great Heal Excerpt: Petrus of Thorolund/Rhea of Thorolund/Patches.
- Great Heal: Rhea of Thorolund.
- Great Lightning Spear: Reach +1 in the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant.
- Great Magic Barrier: Ash Lake treasure.
- Heal: Petrus of Thorolund/Rhea of Thorolund/Patches.
- Homeward: Petrus of Thorolund/Rhea of Thorolund.
- Karmic Justice: Oswald of Carim.
- Lightning Spear: Join the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant.
- Magic Barrier: Rhea of Thorolund.
- Replenishment: Rhea of Thorolund at the Tomb of the Giants.
- Seek Guidance: Petrus of Thorolund/Rhea of Thorolund.
- Soothing Sunlight: Princess Guard Covenant/The Duke`s Archives Pisaca drop.
- Sunlight Blade: Anor Londo.
- Sunlight Spear: Reach +1 in the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant.
- Tranquil Walk of Peace: The Catacombs treasure.
- Vow of Silence: Painted World of Ariamis treasure.
- Wrath of the Gods: Rhea of Thorolund.
Use the following path to reach the indicated area or person.
- Princess Guard: Talk to Gwynevere after getting the Lordvessel to join.
- Siegmeyer of Catarina: Gives this miracle in Firelink Shrine after helping him out in Anor Londo. You must answer "Yes" to his question.
- Petrus of Thorolund: Firelink vendor.
- Rhea of Thorolund: Rescue her from the Catabombs and she will become a vendor at the Undead Parish church.
- Ash Lake: Optional area accessed by reaching the bottom of The Great Hollow (located on the left side of Blighttown behind an illusory wall).
Easy "Raw Weapon" achievement or trophy
Raw becomes an upgrade path for the blacksmith Andre of Astora after he is given the Large Ember. It only requires Large Titanite Shards as upgrade material, as well as a standard +5 weapon and the required souls.
Easy "Reach Anor Londo" achievement or trophy
Anor Londo can be accessed after defeating the Iron Golem at Sen's Fortress. To open the doors to Sen's Fortress, ring the bells in the Undead Parish and Bighttown.
Easy "Rite of Kindling" achievement or trophy
Defeat Pinwheel, Boss of The Catacombs, to get the Rite of Kindling.
Easy "Strongest Weapon" achievement or trophy
Basic standard upgrades (up to +5) are available through all blacksmiths and the Weapon Smithbox item. However, Andre of Astora is the only blacksmith who can ascend standard items from +5 to +6 and from +10 to +11, after being given the Large Ember or the Very Large Ember, respectively. Any blacksmith and the Weapon Smithbox, may implement the intermediate upgrades to standard weapons with the required Titanite and souls. Titanite Shards are required for levels up to +5, Large Titanite Shards for levels +6 to +10, Titanite Chunks for +11 to +14, and a Titanite Slab for +15.
Easy "To Link the Fire" achievement or trophy
Light the bonfire that appears after defeating Gwyn, Lord of Cinder. In sacrifice, the Chosen Undead links the First Flame as Gwyn had done before him or her, and fulfills the Kingseeker Frampt's goal of continuing the Age of Fire.
Easy "Wisdom of a Sage" achievement or trophy
The Sorceries are found at the following locations.
- Aural Decoy: Griggs of Vinheim.
- Cast Light: Dusk of Oolacile/Elizabeth.
- Chameleon: Dusk of Oolacile/Elizabeth.
- Crystal Magic Weapon: Big Hat Logan (only in The Duke's Archives).
- Crystal Soul Spear: Big Hat Logan (only in The Duke's Archives).
- Dark Bead: Chasm of the Abyss.
- Dark Fog: Oolacile Township.
- Dark Orb: Oolacile Township.
- Fall Control: Griggs of Vinheim.
- Great Heavy Soul Arrow: Griggs of Vinheim/Big Hat Logan.
- Great Magic Weapon: Anor Londo.
- Great Soul Arrow: Griggs of Vinheim/Big Hat Logan.
- Heavy Soul Arrow: Griggs of Vinheim/Rickert of Vinheim/Big Hat Logan.
- Hidden Body: Dusk of Oolacile/Elizabeth.
- Hidden Weapon: Dusk of Oolacile/Elizabeth.
- Homing Crystal Soulmass: Big Hat Logan (only in the Duke's Archives).
- Homing Soulmass: Griggs of Vinheim (after Logan leaves)/Big Hat Logan.
- Hush: Sen's Fortress/Griggs of Vinheim drop.
- Magic Shield: Griggs of Vinheim/Big Hat Logan.
- Magic Weapon: Griggs of Vinheim/Big Hat Logan.
- Pursuers: Snuggly the Crow.
- Remedy: Blighttown.
- Repair: Dusk of Oolacile/Elizabeth.
- Resist Curse: Ingward.
- Soul Arrow: Griggs of Vinheim/Rickert of Vinheim/Big Hat Logan.
- Soul Spear: Griggs of Vinheim (after Logan leaves)/Big Hat Logan.
- Strong Magic Shield: The Duke's Archives.
- White Dragon Breath: Big Hat Logan drop.
Use the following path to reach the indicated area or person.
- Griggs of Vinheim: Becomes a vendor at Firelink after rescued at Lower Undead Burg (Residence Key required).
- Dusk of Oolacile: Becomes a vendor after you kill the Golden Golem behind the Hydra Boss.
- Elizabeth: DLC vendor.
- Rickert of Vinheim: Found at Lordran in New Londo ruins.
- Big Hat Logan: Becomes a vendor at Firelink after being rescued from Sen's Fortress. He has a limited inventory. After you reach the Duke's Archives, he moves there and you can any of his spells. When he has nothing remaining to sell, he will move to the chamber where you first encountered Seath. After you kill him you can loot the White Dragon Breath from him.
Complete the following achievements to unlock Xbox Live Gamerscore points.
- The Dark Soul (50 points): All achievements completed. Congratulations!
- Knight's Honor (25 points): Acquire all rare weapons.
- Wisdom of a Sage (25 points): Acquire all sorceries.
- Bond of a Pyromancer (25 points): Acquire all pyromancies.
- Prayer of a Maiden (25 points): Acquire all miracles.
- Covenant: Way of White (15 points): Discover Way of White covenant.
- Covenant: Gravelord Servant (25 points): Discover Gravelord Servant covenant.
- Covenant: Chaos Servant (25 points): Discover Chaos Servant covenant.
- Strongest Weapon (15 points): Acquire best weapon through standard reinforcement.
- Crystal Weapon (15 points): Acquire best weapon through crystal reinforcement.
- Lightning Weapon (15 points): Acquire best weapon through lightning reinforcement.
- Raw Weapon (15 points): Acquire best weapon through raw reinforcement.
- Magic Weapon (15 points): Acquire best weapon through magic reinforcement.
- Enchanted Weapon (15 points): Acquire best weapon through enchanted reinforcement.
- Divine Weapon (15 points): Acquire best weapon through divine reinforcement.
- Fire Weapon (15 points): Acquire best weapon through fire reinforcement.
- Chaos Weapon (15 points): Acquire best weapon through chaos reinforcement.
- Enkindle (15 points): Light bonfire flame.
- Estus Flask (15 points): Acquire Estus Flask.
- Reach Lordran (15 points): Arrive in Lordran.
- Ring the Bell (Undead Church) (15 points): Ring Bell of Awakening at Undead Church.
- Ring the Bell (Quelaag's Domain) (15 points): Ring Bell of Awakening in Quelaag's domain.
- Rite of Kindling (15 points): Acquire the Rite of Kindling.
- Art of Abysswalking (15 points): Acquire the Art of Abysswalking.
- Reach Anor Londo (25 points): Arrive in Anor Londo.
- Lordvessel (25 points): Acquire the Lordvessel.
Additionally there are fifteen secret achievements.
- To Link the Fire (90 points): Reach "To Link the Fire" ending.
- Dark Lord (90 points): Reach "The Dark Lord" ending.
- Covenant: Path of the Dragon (25 points): Discover Path of the Dragon covenant.
- Covenant: Darkwraith (25 points): Discover Darkwraith covenant.
- Covenant: Warrior of Sunlight (25 points): Discover Warrior of Sunlight covenant.
- Covenant: Forest Hunter (25 points): Discover Forest Hunter covenant.
- Covenant: Princess's Guard (25 points): Discover Princess's Guard covenant.
- Covenant: Blade of the Darkmoon (25 points): Discover Blade of the Darkmoon covenant.
- Occult Weapon (15 points): Acquire best weapon through occult reinforcement.
- Defeat the Dark Sun Gwyndolin (25 points): Defeat Dark Sun Gwyndolin, the Darkmoon God.
- Defeat Crossbreed Priscilla (25 points): Defeat Crossbreed Priscilla, the Lifehunter.
- Defeat Seath the Scaleless (25 points): Defeat Seath the Scaleless, inheritors of souls.
- Defeat Bed of Chaos (25 points): Defeat the Soul Lord Bed of Chaos.
- Defeat the Four Kings (25 points): Defeat the Four Kings, inheritors of souls.
- Defeat Gravelord Nito (25 points): Defeat the Soul Lord Gravelord Nito.
Strategy guides from GameFAQs