Dead Island (Xbox 360)
Getting kills without dulling your weapon
Killing zombies takes a toll on your weapon. However when it is on its last legs it is not completely useless. Throwing your weapons can damage enemies without dulling the weapon. If you have a weapon worth keeping, but it is almost used up, keep throwing it at zombies until you can repair it again.
- Use the following trick if you want to modify, repair, or create a weapon but are short on money. If the craft table is inside of a store, search the cash register. Occasionally you can find a couple hundred dollars.
dvedpe anp ervieou
- When you reach the city of Moresby and have access to the warehouse, there are four weapons located inside, the wrench, baseball bat, hammer, and knife. Selling those four items at the church will generate approximately between $400 to $2,000 per trip. Repeat the process as many times as desired.
Reach Ope's Cave in Act 3, then use the "Duplicate Weapons" glitch to copy your most valuable weapon. Sell the weapons to a vendor to get a lot of money, then buy Oleander from a vendor if it is available. Taking as much Oleander as you can buy, fast travel back to Ope's Cave and turn it in to the tribesman that give you the Continuous Event "Dreamtime". Each time you turn in five Oleander Blossoms, you will receive $1 and 1,000 experience points. Repeat this as many times as desired.
In the Slums there is an abandoned building at the bottom of the map. Once cleared out, you will be able to quick travel to there. In the back of the building are two rooms. Each has a fridge that may contain a bottle of champagne. If not, quick travel to another area then quick travel back as many times as desired.
Easy "Military-Industrial Complex" challenge
While doing the "Bitter Return" mission there is a mounted machine gun on the balcony of city hall. Mount the machine gun and fire away. Every bullet fired counts towards the "Military-Industrial Complex" challenge. Keep shooting and you will complete all four levels.
This trick works best if you play as Logan. Humans can use weapons, and so can you. However when it comes down to a gunfight you are both evenly matched. A good way to kill humans with little effort is to throw modded weapons. However, there are a few exceptions. The weapon Must be a sharp weapon. Blunt weapons only damage them slightly. The military machete works best. The weapon must have either a Poison mod or a Shock mod. Fire will not do anything. Make sure you upgrade the weapon to at least level 3. You may want to mod a powerful weapon because it will have minimal affect against stronger humans. Keep your distance when throwing, and have plenty of ammunition. This is one reason why Logan is better for this, because thrown objects can come back to him. However, if you have a clear view of the target, throw the weapon and they will die instantly.
Killing large groups of zombies
When you encounter large groups of zombies or have ran and have a lot of them following, use the following trick to deal with them. Look for a nearby vehicle and sprint to it. Jump on top of it and crouch on the hood. While there you can still hit the zombies. Note: Do not do this on the roof of the vehicle; you will not be able to hit them, and they can still hit you rarely. Note: Use the analog style of fighting to do more decapitations and swing your weapon faster.
Hidden provocative photographs
In Act 2, enter the mayor's office in City Hall before it gets attacked by zombies. Knock down the painting on the very back wall in the room behind the desk. You will find three photos of a semi-nude blonde woman.
Chrome 2 reference
Play the "Born To Be Wild" quest. Enter the hotel and talk to Mike Davies. Then, move to the next room with the workbench. Enter the next room with a computer to reboot. Look at the wall to the side of the desk with the fan on it, to see a Chrome 2 poster.
Friday The Thirteenth reference
Created by XCVii007r1.
League Of Legends reference
Shortly after the Lifeguard Tower (Exodus) is completed, there is a quest giver in a bungalow to the left of the main road named Annie. She initiates the quest by saying "Have you seen my bear?" and asks you to retrieve the teddy bear for her. In League Of Legends, there is a champion also named Annie. In that game, Annie's catchphrase is "Have you seen my bear Tibbers?"
Do the quest to clear out the Lifeguard Tower at the start of the game. Clear the garage of the few zombies there. Go inside and you will hear a radio broadcast of an Oceanic Flight in an emergency descent to an island due to engine failure.
Pimp My Ride reference
Do the quest near the end of the Resort level, where you take the big truck to the mechanic to turn it into a homemade tank or fortress. While talking to him, just before you have to defend the shop while he does his work, he will say that he is going to "Pimp your ride".
Easy "10 Heads Are Better Than 1" achievement or trophy
Have the assault rifle which is acquired during the second part of the game. Jump on a car and wait until the zombies are next to the car. Then, just shoot their heads. Even if you get killed while doing this, your head count does not reset as long as you do not kill a zombie by any other method except a headshot.
Easy "One is all I need" achievement or trophy
- Play Act 3. When you get to the Geo-Phram Lab Complex, you will get a quest to go to Ope's Cave (to the west), where a native tribe lives, to get a blood sample. Once there, you will be asked to step into an arena and prove yourself as a warrior. The first wave consists of at least twelve Infected. Use your highest damage weapon and aim for their heads.
- Play Act 1 "Resort" and the "Seek & Loot" mission. You will be sent to the left corner of the map, where the "City Tunnel Gas Station" is located. Once you arrived the "Waterdance" mission will begin. The goal of this mission is to shut down the electricity at three points around of the gas station, which are shown as red flags on the map (Screenshot). The left flag is placed right next to the tunnel, which will be used at the end of Act I to leave the Resort to the town of Moresby. The tunnel itself is blocked by several cars which are on fire. There is an abandoned car in front of the tunnel which is important. Trigger the spawn of an Infected at this location by moving close to the entrance to the tunnel. The Infected will appear inside of the tunnel and will need to pass the burning cars to reach you and also catch on fire. When this happens, jump into the car in front of the tunnel immediately and wait until the Infected has reached your position. Then, kill him with one hit (Screenshot). It is impossible to trigger the Infected to spawn more than four times in a row. You must leave this location to reset the counter for the Infected to spawn by using a car. One can be found next to the gas station's shop. You may want to relocate it near the tunnel before starting the fight to make the entire process easier. Drive near the arena entrance, which is indicated by the blue dot on the map (Screenshot), then turn around and return to the gas station. If you move close to the tunnel entrance, another Infected should be spawn. Note: All five Infected kills must be made in succession, without killing anything else in between. This you must be careful while driving.
Easy "How many days exactly?" achievement or trophy
Disconnect your online connection, go to the system settings and advance the system date by one month. Resume the game while offline to unlock the achievement or trophy.
Easy "Oh, No You Don't" achievement or trophy
This can only be earned with Sam B, and after unlocking his Tackle ability. Play Chapter 16, "Locked Up". Once you get to the checkpoint where you have to "Find another way to the cell block control room", you must go around to get to the control room. When you open the door to the cell blocks, there is a stairway going down and there you will see the Ram. Let him follow you upstairs and go back in the hallway. Leave the door open. The Ram will try to ram you down, but he will not be able to get past the door. This is where you can weaken him until his life is close to dead. Then, deliver the final blows with you Tackle ability.
Easy "Swing Them Sticks" achievement or trophy
As long as you have the analog control scheme selected, any kills you get by running over zombies in a car will count towards the 150 needed.
Note: The following tricks required an unpatched version of the game.
- Throw the weapon that you want to duplicate. Before it hits the ground, press Up. Then, choose to drop the weapon that is equipped. Exit out of the menu and pick up both items. Repeat this as many times as desired. Sell them for easy money.
- Hold [Throw] with the weapon you want to duplicate, then hold Y + RT.
- When using the "Duplicate weapons" glitch and playing as the character Logan, the glitch will not duplicate the weapon you throw if the weapon is returned to you by Logan's "Boomerang" ability. The easiest way around this is to wait until the weapon you throw to perform the glitch hits the ground. If timed correctly, you should be able to tell whether or not the word "Boomerang" appears on your screen when your chosen weapon hits the ground, and still be able to drop it so that it duplicates itself.
Complete the following achievements to unlock Xbox Live Gamerscore points.
- Rootin' Tootin' Lootin' (30 points): Loot 5 Exceptional Weapons.
- Tis but a flesh wound! (10 points): Sever 100 limbs.
- There and back again (30 points): Explore the entire island.
- Catch! (10 points): Kill an Infected with a grenade blast.
- Road Trip (10 points): Drive a total distance of 10 kilometers.
- Cardio (10 points): Travel a distance of 20 kilometers on foot.
- Swing them sticks (25 points): Kill 150 enemies using Analog Fighting controls.
- Gesundheit! (10 points): Heal yourself with a medkit 100 times.
- Light my fire (20 points): Set 10 zombies on fire simultaneously.
- 10 heads are better than 1 (15 points): Kill 10 zombies in a row with headshots.
- A taste of everything (25 points): Kill a zombie with 10 different melee weapons.
- One is all I need (20 points): Kill 5 Infected in a row with a single blow.
- Can't touch this (20 points): Use a hammer to kill a series of 15 zombies without taking damage.
- Humanitarian (15 points): Kill 50 human enemies.
- Tae Kwon Leap (25 points): Kill 25 zombies with your bare fists.
- I want one of those (30 points): Customize 25 weapons.
- Karma-geddon (15 points): Kill 50 zombies using a vehicle.
- To put it bluntly (25 points): Kill 250 zombies using blunt melee weapons.
- Hack & slash (25 points): Kill 250 zombies using edged melee weapons.
- Guns don't kill but they help (25 points): Kill 250 zombies using firearms.
- Need a hand? (10 points): Join another player's game.
- Warranty Void if Used (10 points): Create a customized weapon.
- Gotta find'em all (20 points): Find 60 collectibles.
- Nearly there (25 points): Find 120 collectibles.
- Steam Punk (30 points): Create weapons to rival the gods of fire or thunder.
- Originality (10 points): Play in a co-op team of 4 different playable characters.
- Together in the light (10 points): Complete 5 quests in a single co-op game with the same partners.
- Going steady (25 points): Complete 25 quests while playing with at least one co-op partner.
- Rageman (25 points): Kill 100 enemies with Fury attacks.
- People Person (10 points): Play with 10 different co-op partners for at least 15 minutes each.
- Ménage à trois (25 points): Complete 5 quests with 3 co-op partners.
- Right 4 Life (30 points): Complete act I with 4 different characters.
- A very special day (30 points): Kill 250 zombies with modified weapons.
- School of hard knocks (30 points): Reach level 50.
- Knock, knock (15 points): Breach a locked door with the first blow.
- Busy, busy, busy (60 points): Finish 75 quests cumulatively.
- Learning the ropes (10 points): Reach level 10.
- Dedicated student (25 points): Reach level 25.
Additionally there are ten secret achievements.
- Everybody lies (20 points): Use a large medkit to heal an injury of 5% or less.
- Hell in paradise (30 points): Complete act I.
- Ah! Spoiled meat! (10 points): Kill a Butcher using an axe.
- Oh, no you don't (10 points): Kill a Ram using tackle skill.
- Savior (20 points): Save 5 people besieged by zombies.
- How many days exactly? (10 points): Play Dead Island at least 28 days after starting it for the first time.
- No raccoons in here (30 points): Complete act II.
- King of the jungle (30 points): Complete act III.
- Banoi Redemption (30 points): Complete act IV.
- First! (15 points): Kill a Suicider with a grenade.
Strategy guides from GameFAQs