Gears Of War 2
Multi-player mode skins
Complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding skin for Multi-player mode.
afpe gaobl rautsp
- Anthony Carmine: Complete Act 1 in the original Gears Of War (have any Act 1 achievement unlocked from that game).
- Dizzy Wallin: Complete Act 1 in Single Player mode.
- Flame Grenadier: Complete Act 4 in Single Player mode.
- Kantus: Complete Act 2 in Single Player mode.
- Lt. Minh Young Kim: Find 10 COG tags in the original Gears Of War (have the "Time To Remember" achivement unlocked from that game).
- RAAM: Defeat RAAM in the original Gears Of War (have the "A Dish Best Served Cold" achievement from that game).
- Skorge: Complete Act 5 in Single Player mode.
- Tai Kaliso: Complete Act 3 in Single Player mode.
Successfully complete the game.
Complete the indicated tasks to unlock Gamerpics.
- Successfully complete Campaign mode under the Insane difficulty setting to unlock a Gamerpic of Marcus.
- Successfully complete Seriously 2.0 to unlock another Marcus Gamerpic.
- Get the "Friends With Benefits" achievement to unlock a Gamerpic of Marcus and Dom.
- With the Collectors Edition of the game, insert the bonus disc in and go to "Gamer Pictures". You will unlock both of the sets. One set has COG and the other has Locust.
When you reach rank 100, instead of "100" appearing as your rank, you will instead have a star. This indicates it as being the highest rank possible.
Make Brumak roar
Close to the end of the game, when you hijack the Brumak, click the Right Analog-stick while riding it.
Turn on the game and wait for the "Gears of War: Press Start" screen to appear. Do not press Start. Allow the screen to idle for a few minutes and a video will begin to play.
Easy flame grenadier kill
To easily kill a flame grenadier in Story mode, aim your gun at the fuel tanks on its back. It then becomes a very large mobile grenade. Do not stand too close to it or else you will be downed or killed.
Kung fu flip
When you see a Boom Shield, pick it up and place it in the ground. Take cover behind it. Immediately get out of cover and change weapons (D-pad). You will fly into the air, flip twice, and land nicely behind an enemy, if they are after you.
When in front of a downed enemy, press X + A. This will also automatically break the enemy's neck from any direction quickly and effectively without picking the enemy up first.
Easy Horde mode
- When playing in Horde mode, go to the Day One map. Inside the Game room there should be a shield. Pick up the shield and go to one of the two staircases. Depending on which staircase you choose, you can select between a cycle of Longshot/Torque Bow or Mulcher/Mortar. Plant the shield in the middle of the staircase with the shield facing toward the bottom of the staircase. If placed properly, this will block larger enemies like the Bloodmounts and Boomers from reaching you, allowing for easy kills. There is plenty of cover for you to snipe drones running around and ducking for cover on the ground. It is best to kill a Mauler with a shield to plant additional shields. Drones and Sires will kick the shield down if you do not kill them as they run up. Even if they do, just run up the stairs and jump over the cover. You can kill anyone using blind fire or shooting and ducking. You can even plant a frag or smoke grenade somewhere for a quick kill or get some chainsaw action while they are down. Then, just set up your shields again and continue. Keep in mind when you kill the last enemy and the new horde begins, you have about twenty seconds before your shields will disappear. You must kick them down and replant them. You can also pick one up before you kill the last enemy.
- When playing in Horde mode, go to the Blood Drive map. You should begin somewhere on top of a double staircase. One direction leads all the way down, while the other leads off to the side through a room then leading to a smaller staircase. Run to the room. There should be ether frags or an ink grenade behind the pillar (they cycle with each Horde). If it is ink, just die. Its easiest to start with frag grenades. Plant a grenade on each wall next to each staircase. Go back to the room and collect the grenades as they respawn. Stay outside one side of the room killing enemies. If someone runs up they will blow up; just replant the grenade when that happens. Also, you will hear the grenades explode if someone tries to sneak behind you. Once again, replant the grenade if this happens. This works best in Co-op mode because each player can only plant two grenades of the same type, and of course you can watch out for each other. If player one plants a smoke then plants a frag grenade, player one's smoke grenade will automatically explode. Using two people you can plant four frag or ink grenades. As you kill enemies, if someone gets too tough, just Roadie Run past a grenade. They will always chase you. When you get to Horde 3 you should have a Boomshield Mauler come for you. Kill him and take his shield. Plant the shield in one of the doorways where the grenades are located (two Maulers, two shields, two blocked doorways). With both players in the room, the grenades, and blocked doorways, fighting off enemies should not be as difficult. Before you kill the last enemy, load up on ammunition. You can get some ammunition back as each Horde begins. Remember to pick up your shields or replant them as the new Horde begins so that they do not disappear. The Torque Bow takes out most enemies fairly quickly with a headshot if you wind it until it self releases. If you run out of ammunition, you can melee behind the shield (the Torque Bow is the most powerful melee weapon) or tag with grenades. The flame thrower kills groups very fast.
- This trick works better with only two players. In the "River" map, go any of the two houses with the sniper or torque bow. Put a grenade at the entrance then hide behind the columns there. Crouch for maximum cover, then wait for a Boomer with the shield to get in. Kill him and take his shield. Put it in the ramp so that no enemy can get in, then shoot away.
Successfully complete the game and allow the credits to end. A secret message will play after the credits.
Wear Dizzy's cowboy hat
- Created by ANiceSquirrel.
Play Act 1 Chapter 3, "Rolling Thunder", under the Insane difficulty setting. Shoot the three hidden cowboy hats at the start of the chapter. You and all the COG will wear cowboy hats for the rest of the level. Additionally, a Corpser that appears from the ground later in the chapter will wear a cowboy hat and shout "Yee haw".
See Dizzy's exposed head
Shoot off Dizzy's hat by aiming it. Dizzy wears a beret and appears to be bald.
Created by utuber118.
Play Act 4 Chapter 5, "The Best-Laid Plans". After meeting Dom (or Marcus if co-op) again, walk to the end of the hallway where Locust ammunition boxes are found. Shoot the pedestal in the center along the wall and press X to reveal a hidden toaster that will pop some toast.
Tap Back to skip the cinematic sequences. Whenever Marcus is talking to control (he will have a finger on his ear) or to Alpha 2, you can also skip it so and complete the level faster. Marcus will sometimes say something similar to "Don't wanna here it" or "Quit yapping".
Complete a game of Submission then press Y to view the game stats. Scroll down to the Meatflag (Hanley, Chaps, or Franklin) to see their gamercard, complete with a detailed profile and unlocked achievements.
Multiplayer execution moves
Do not perform an execution move (or curb stomp) during any multi-player mode. You are only exposing yourself to enemy fire power.
Jack Thompson reference
Enter the arcade room on the "Day One" multiplayer map with a character or the Ghost Cam. One of the fake arcade machines is entitled "Murder Simulator", a jab at attorney Jack Thompson, who often labeled Gears Of War (among other games) a "murder simulator".
Carmine or Dom ladder climb fail
In Act 2,Chapter 2 "Indigenous Creatures", when you first get to use the rock-worm as cover against enemies, there will be two ladders behind a group of enemies where a Troika gun is located. Note: This is where Marcus says that it looks like a staging area after you kill the enemies. After killing the enemies, get up on one of the ladders before Dom or Carmine gets up. Wait for one of them to start climbing, then get directly in their way when they give their final pull upwards. They will stand on the edge and fall down. Keep doing this and eventually Carmine will give up and just stand at the base of the ladder until you go to a different area. Note: This trick might work on different ladders.
Use any regular weapon with the Boomshield
While standing above a Boomshield, equip your pistol. Perform a melee attack and quickly press X + D-pad Left or Right. If done correctly, you should now be using whatever weapon was in the left or right slot with your Boomshield equipped. This will not work with a Mulcher or mortar as they do not occupy an actual weapon slot.
Shoot some bullets out of the weapon that you want to disguise. Then, reload while shooting. As soon as it reaches the active reload area, change to smoke and throw it. Then, switch to the gun to be disguised, then to the weapon you want to use to hide the weapon. Repeat the steps from the change weapon part. For example, you can use the shotgun and disguised it as a pistol. Your screen will display the weapon you wanted to disguise; other screens except for the host will display a pistol.
Two or three players can chainsaw the same enemy. It looks extremely funny to the players on screen.
Complete the following achievements to unlock Xbox Live Gamerscore points.
- Green as Grass (10 points): Train the rook (any difficulty).
- It's a Trap! (10 points): Story progression in Act 1, Chapter 2.
- Escort Service (10 points): Story progression in Act 1, Chapter 4.
- Girl About Town (10 points): Story progression in Act 1, Chapter 6.
- That Sinking Feeling (10 points): Story progression in Act 2, Chapter 4.
- Freebaird! (10 points): Story progression in Act 2, Chapter 5.
- Heartbroken (10 points): Story progression in Act 2, Chapter 6.
- Longitude and Attitude (10 points): Story progression in Act 3, Chapter 3.
- Tanks for the Memories (10 points): Story progression in Act 3, Chapter 4.
- Water Sports (10 points): Story progression in Act 3, Chapter 6.
- There's a Time for Us (10 points): Story progression in Act 4, Chapter 2.
- Better Wrapped in Beacon (10 points): Story progression in Act 4, Chapter 3.
- Have Fun Storming the Castle (10 points): Story progression in Act 4, Chapter 6.
- And the Horse You Rode in On (10 points): Story progression in Act 5, Chapter 1.
- You Are the Support, Son (10 points): Story progression in Act 5, Chapter 2.
- Brumak Rodeo (10 points): Story progression in Act 5, Chapter 4.
- Does This Look Infected to You? (10 points): Story progression in Act 5, Chapter 5.
- Tourist of Duty (25 points): Complete all campaign acts on Casual Difficulty.
- Guerrilla Tactician (50 points): Complete all campaign acts on Normal Difficulty.
- Artist of War (75 points): Complete all campaign acts on Hardcore Difficulty.
- Suicide Missionary (150 points): Complete all campaign acts on Insane Difficulty.
- Collector (5 points): Recover 5 collectibles (any difficulty).
- Pack Rat (15 points): Recover 20 collectibles (any difficulty).
- Completionist (30 points): Recover all 41 collectibles (any difficulty).
- One-Night Stand (10 points): Complete 1 chapter in co-op on any difficulty (Marcus or Dom).
- Open Relationship (30 points): Complete 10 chapters in co-op on any difficulty (Marcus or Dom).
- Friends with Benefits (50 points): Complete all acts in co-op on any difficulty (Marcus or Dom).
- Once More, With Feeling (10 points): Perform 30 perfect active reloads (any mode).
- Takes a Licking (30 points): Melee 30 Tickers (any mode).
- Organ Grinder (10 points): Kill 30 enemies with a cover mounted Mulcher (any mode).
- Shock and Awe (10 points): Kill 30 enemies with the heavy Mortar (any mode).
- Said the Spider to the Fly (10 points): Kill 10 enemies with a planted grenade (any mode).
- Crowd Control (10 points): Melee 10 enemies down with the Boomshield equipped (any mode).
- Smells Like Victory (10 points): Kill 30 enemies with the Scorcher Flamethrower (any mode).
- Variety Is the Spice of Death (30 points): Kill an enemy with every weapon in the game (any mode).
- Seriously 2.0 (50 points): Kill 100,000 enemies (any mode).
- Standing Here, Beside Myself (10 points): Win 3 matches of Wingman (public).
- Beat the Meatflag (10 points): Capture 10 meatflags in Submission (public).
- It's Good to be the King (10 points): Win 10 rounds of Guardian as the leader (public).
- You Go Ahead, I'll Be Fine (10 points): Win three matches of King of the Hill (public).
- Back to Basic (10 points): Successfully complete the 5 lessons of multiplayer Training Grounds.
- Party Like It's 1999 (30 points): Play 1999 rounds of multiplayer (any mode).
- Around the World, Again (30 points): Win a multiplayer match on each map (any mode).
- Dirty, Dirty Horde (20 points): Survive the first 10 waves of Horde (any difficulty, any map).
- Hoard the Horde (30 points): Survive all 50 waves of Horde (any difficulty, any map).
- Crossed Swords (10 points): Win 10 chainsaw duels (any mode).
- A Parting Gift (20 points): Kill 10 enemies with a grenade while down but not out (any mode).
- Pound of Flesh (10 points): Use a meatshield to save your life 10 times (any mode).
- Photojournalist (10 points): Submit a spectator photo.
- Kick 'Em When They're Down (10 points): Perform all 11 unique executions on a downed enemy.
The following achievements require the "Flashback Map Pack" and "Combustible Map Pack" bonus downloadable content.
- Annex: Now With Execution Rules (75 points): Win an Annex match on each Flashback and Combustible Map Pack map (public matches only).
- Bound by a Shared Past (15 points): Win a Wingman match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps.
- Forged in the Fire (15 points): Win a Wingman match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps.
- More Mystery, Less History (15 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman).
- Skeletons in your Closet (20 points): Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Flashback Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty).
- The Roof! The Roof! The Roof… (15 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman).
- Trial by, and on, Fire (20 points): Survive first 10 Horde waves on Combustible Map Pack maps as a team.
The following achievements require the "Snowblind Map Pack" bonus downloadable content.
- Battle-Tested Gear (30 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 25 (Public only points).
- Rookie Gear (10 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 5 (Public only points).
- Seasoned Gear (20 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 15 (Public only points).
- Battle-Hardened Gear (50 points): Reach level 50 and play a match on each of the 4 Snowblind Map Pack maps (Public only points).
- Frigid Body Dynamics (5 points): Play a multiplayer match on each of the 4 Snowblind Map Pack maps (any mode points).
- Icy Dead People (25 points): Complete waves 1 through 50 on any Snowblind Map Pack map in Horde (any difficulty points).
- Never Eat Red Snow (20 points): Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Snowblind Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty points).
- The Weather Outside Is Lethal (15 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the 4 Snowblind Map Pack maps (any mode points).
- Veteran Gear (75 points): Reach level 100 and win a match on each of the 4 Snowblind Map Pack maps (Public only points).
Leave level boundary
Shoot some bullets out of your Lancer then take cover. Switch to your shotgun, then back to your Lancer. As soon as the your hand touches the Lancer press B + Analog-stick Back. Your Lancer should be jammed and you will not be able to reload. After a few seconds you should have a full clip. Take cover on something you can mantle over and hold B while jumping over. Release B after you have jumped halfway over and press Back. You should now on be on top of the cover. From here do the same thing that you did when you got on top of the cover. You should be able to jump out on any stage
Blood from nowhere
Find a crewmember who has just started to use the chainsaw melee on a Locust. Use your chainsaw on the same Locust at the same time. The Locust will be on the ground while blood is flying from your chainsaw.
Strategy guides from GameFAQs