Half-Life 2 (PC)
Complete the following tasks to unlock the corresponding achievement. To view your achievements and stats in Steam, select "Community", then "My profile", then "View all my games", then the game and view stats.
- Anchor's Aweigh!: Get the airboat.
- Atomizer: Disintegrate 15 soldiers by throwing them into a Combine ball field.
- Barnacle Bowling: Kill five barnacles with one barrel.
- Blast from the Past: Find the HEV Suit Charger faceplate in Eli's scrapyard.
- Bug Hunt: Use the antlions to kill 50 enemies.
- Counter-Sniper: Kill all of the snipers in City 17.
- Defiant: Hit the trashcan cop with the can.
- Fight the Power: Shut down the supression device by disabling its generators.
- Flushed: Kill an enemy with a toilet.
- Follow Freeman: Gain command of a squad of rebels in the uprising.
- Giant Killer: Survive the rooftop strider battle in the ruins of City 17.
- Hack Attack!: Kill five enemies with a Manhack.
- Hallowed Ground: Escort Gregori safely through the church cemetery.
- Heavy Weapons: Get the airboat's mounted gun.
- Keep Off the Sand!: Cross the antlion beach in chapter Sandtraps without touching the sand.
- Lambda Locator: Find all lambda caches in Half-Life 2.
- Malcontent: Escape the apartment block raid.
- One Man Army: Destroy six gunships in Half-Life 2.
- OSHA Violation: Kill 3 enemies using the crane.
- Plaza Defender: Survive the generator plaza standoff in chapter Anticitizen One.
- Radiation Levels Detected: Get through the toxic tunnel under City 17 in Half-Life 2.
- Revenge!: Destroy the hunter-chopper in Half-Life 2.
- Singularity Collapse: Destroy the Citadel's reactor core.
- Submissive: Put the can in the trash.
- Targetted Advertising: Pin a soldier to the billboard in chapter Highway 17.
- Trusty Hardware: Get the crowbar.
- Two Points: Use dog's ball to make a basket in eli's scrapyard.
- Vorticough: Discover the hidden singing vortigaunt cave in chapter Water Hazard.
- Warden Freeman: Survive the second turret standoff in Nova Prospekt.
- What cat?: Break the mini-teleporter in Kleiner's lab.
- Where Cubbage Fears to Tread: Defend Little Odessa from the gunship attack.
- Zero-Point Energy: Get the Gravity Gun in Black Mesa East.
- Zombie Chopper: Play through Ravenholm using only the Gravity Gun.
To kill the Barnicals, let them pull you up, than hit
them with a crowbar from a short distance.
If you find it difficult to hit the Striders (or any
other enemy) with the RPG from far away, fire a rocket and immediately
press [Zoom]. You will automatically
zoom in like normal, but will still have control of the rocket.
This helps in the later levels when you do not want to get too
close to the Striders, or other enemies like the Combines.
Defend yourself by using the Zero-Point Energy gun
Take something like a barrel, chair, or another object
with the Zero-Point Energy gun. Enemies cannot hurt you when they
are shooting you. For better results, crouch when you are defending
Sand Trap: Avoid losing health
When you start the Sands Trap map, you will find some
rocks. Someone will tell you not to step on the sand because a
creature will attack. You will have to jump on the rocks. When
the rock ends and only sand remains, use your gravity gun. Use
it to place a door or wooden piece in the sand and stand on it.
Then, place another object in front of it. Jump on it, remove
the first object, and place it in front. Continue to do this until
you reach rock again and the creature will not appear.
Water Hazard: Sore throat Vortegaunt
When you reach the warehouse with the ramp in the big
circular area go to your left. You should see two sewer pipes
sticking out from the wall. Park the boat under the left one and
get on the boat by jumping. The cover will be pulled back so that
you can crouch jump into the pipe. There are lots of toxic waste;
you must sprint run down the pipe and it will get a little lighter.
Turn left and you will go through a gap in the busted pipe. There
is a Vortegaunt coughing and roasting a Headcrab on a fire. There
is also health here.
Water Hazard: Combine suicide
In the same area as the "Sore thrat Vortegaunt", trick ramp onto the land so the checkpoint triggers. Then, park under the grate. The combine should start shooting. Run back and
visit the Vortagaunt, then run back and the Combine will not shoot. Go back and ramp up there again and they should be dead on the ground.
We Don't Go To Ravenholm: Hidden items
After climbing over the white cars and going through the window, you will go in to a room that has two windows and a zombie in it. When you climb out the window, you will see the old man with a shotgun in a window. Proceed to your left on to a concrete ledge. You will see a flammable barrel behind a grate. Shoot at it and the grate will blow out. Hidden back behind the grate is health and ammunition.
We Don't Go To Ravenholm: Funny legs
When you begin the Ravenholm sequence, kill all the zombies but try to leave the explosive barrels intact. When that is done, do not go into the buildings but instead look at the tree. There will be a pair of zombie legs dangling from a branch by a wire. Enable the god code, take the Gravity Gun, pick up a barrel, and stand close to the legs. Fire the barrel at the legs, at point-blank range. You will hear a thudding noise. Move back slightly and enable the flashlight (if it is not already on) to see the legs making erratic movements and even scribe full circles around the branch.
G-Man keeps an omnipresent watch over your movements
throughout your adventure in and around City 17. His locations
are as follows.
- 1. Chapter 1: At the beginning. (Screenshot)
- 2. Chapter 2: On a monitor screen in Dr. Kleiner's lab after Barney finishes at the terminal. (Screenshot)
- 3. Chapter 3: On the TV that the Vortigaunt is watching inside the red train carriage. (Screenshot)
- 4. Chapter 4: Standing on the pier in front of Station 7 at the beginning of the chapter. (Screenshot)
- 5. Chapter 4: Flickering on a giant monitor attached to the high-rise building. It is very quick, but if you look carefully you can see the skeletal form of G-Man on the screen. (Screenshot)
- 6. Chapter 6: On a small gantry near the second covered bridge. (Screenshot)
- 7. Chapter 6: In the last part of the chapter you will come across a pier next to a dam. Get onto the pier by driving up the ramp in your speedboat and turn left by the big red warehouse. You can see G-Man staring at you at the bottom of the pier. Note: This sighting is not in the official strategy guide. (Screenshot)
- 8. Walking into a train tunnel beyond the railcar blocking the railroad. See the "Hidden G-Man" hint for a detailed description. (Screenshot)
- 9. Chapter 9: Looking through a window near a pair of double doors on a monitor screen at the beginning. (Screenshot)
- 10. Chapter 11: On a TV at the ruined foyer at the tenement block after you and Dog get separated. (Screenshot)
- 11. Chapter 14: At the end. (Screenshot)
- 12: Chapter 7: Highway 17. After you cross the beach with the boat ramp, go inside the house where the two Combine soldiers are located. Use the binoculars to see new little Odessa (Resistance stronghold). The G-man will be talking to an allied soldier in the loft of a farmhouse. Note: He is difficult to see, but you can see his briefcase. (Screenshot)
Play the Black Mesa East level. When Dr. Judith Mossman goes into the room left of the elevator, quickly follow her in or open the door. In there you can hear her say some things or watch the chefs prepare lunch in the kitchen (as seen going down in the elevator). (Screenshot)
- To kill an enemy quickly and easily, take the shotgun and hit an enemy like headcrap, zombies, and City 17 guards. Aim and hit it in the head to kill it.
- You can use Dog's ball to kill; or distract and attract enemies to the ball for easy kills. When you first get the anti-gravity gun while you play fetch with "Dog", make sure to keep the ball. The ball is actually a "rollermine". You can keep the ball up until you go over to Dr. Kliener's fortified graveyard. The rollermine (ball) will follow you almost everywhere and is harmless to you, but it actually kills both types of Head Crabs. Other enemies such as zombies will ignore you and swing violently at the ball, giving you plenty of time to kill them, even with the crowbar. This will save you lots of ammunition throughout the zombie levels. You must be careful not to explode the ball, or it will be gone. If this happens, just re-load from where you had it last. The ball will follow you up most stairs, but you must carry it with the gravity gun up ladders. (Screenshot 1) (Screenshot 2) (Screenshot 3)
To reload faster with the shotgun, .357 magnum, or any other weapon with a slow reload time, tap [Change To Last Weapon] twice quickly. You should then have a full clip. Note: You must fire with your other weapon. You can then fire and reload at the same time.
On the first level when the combine guard (who turns
out to be Barney in disguise) tells you to follow him, do as he
says. While you are walking down the corridor, look through the
small gap in the first door you come across. You will see a man
sitting in a chair, that has blood splattered on the floor underneath
it that says, "There has to be some sort of mistake. I got
a standard relocation coupon juts like everybody else." A
combine guard who is in there with him will then walk up to the
door and close the shutter.
- After the credits, wait to see the headcrab, Lamar, being pursued by the scientist. Then, watch him pounce on your head.
- After you complete the game, watch the credits. Note: They cannot be skipped. When you reach the end of the credits, you will see Lamar jump onscreen. You will then hear Dr. Kliener say, "Lamar? Blast that little
Where did she get to?" This is the same thing that he says when you first see him looking for her. Lamar will then lash out at you and supposedly "couple with your head".
When you enter Dr. Kliener's lab, there is a large amount of items that you can just pick up and toss around: books, boxes, computer monitors, a mini cactus, and Dr. Kliener's clip board with the information for your Hazard Suit on it. If you toss things around the lab for long enough, Dr. Kliener, Barney or Alyx will say something to you:
- Dr. Kliener: "Oh, do be careful."; "Careful."; and "Oh dear."
- Barney: "Whoa, careful." and "You're pushing it, Gordon."
- Alyx: "Careful." and "Take it easy, Gordon. "
Note: It will take a lot of attempts to make Alyx, Barney or Dr.
Kliener say something -- be patient.
Headcrabbed zombie message
Record a headcrabbed zombie's voice and play it backwards to hear various messages.
Strange squad comments
When you are in City 17 during your second visit, try talking to some of your squad members. They will say something like, "I can't believe this day has finally come", or "If I ever get my hands on Dr. Breen...". However, sometimes they will say strange and sometimes funny things like, "When this is all over, I'm gonna mate.", "Have I ever told you that I sometimes dream of cheese?", and more. Some of your squad members reply to what they have said. If you talk to a squad member that is standing near or next to another squad member, they will interact with each other. For example, If one of them says, "If I ever get my hands on Dr. Breen....", the other will reply, "That's more information that I require." The following is a list of all the things they say and all the replies: Note that the replies are not always the same, but they are most of the time.
- I don't feel anything anymore.
- You talking to me?
- I can't remember the last time I had a shower.
- Don't be so sure of that.
- I don't think this war's ever going to end.
- You're talking to yourself again.
- To think, I all I wanted to do was to sell insurance.
- I'm with you.
- I'm not a betting man, but the odds are not good.
- Can we talk about this later?
- Someday, this'll all be a bad memory.
- I'm not even gonna tell you to shut up.
- When this is all over, I'm gonna mate.
- Wouldn't be the first time.
- Whoa . Déjà vu!
- Doesn't bear thinking about it.
- They're never going to make a Stalker out of me.
- There's always a first time. Or, Ill put it on your Tomb Stone.
- God I'm hungry.
- Lets concentrate on the task at hand.
- If I ever get my hands on Dr. Breen .
- That's more information than I require.
- I think I ate something bad.
- Yeah, you and me both.
- Sometimes, I dream about cheese.
- You should nip that kind of talk in the bud.
- Finally, change is in the air!
- Keep your mind on your work.
- You feel it? I feel it!
- I wish I had a dime every time somebody said that.
- I can't remember I the last time I had, well, anything.
- I won't hold it against you.
- When this is all over, I'm . aw, who am I kidding?
- Try not to let it bother you.
- I'm pretty sure this isn't part of the plan.
- Same here.
- Doesn't anyone care what I think?
- Hey, that's enough out of you.
- I just knew it was gonna be one of those days.
- I wouldn't say that too loud.
- Looks to me like things are getting worse, not better.
- What am I supposed to do about it?
- This is bullshit!
- Try not to dwell on it.
- I don't dream anymore.
- That's you all over.
- I'm glad there are no kids around to see this.
- I'm not even gonna tell you to shut up.
- If I could live my life over again.
- I'm not even gonna tell you what that reminds me of.
- Your mind is in the gutter.
- I can't get this tune out of my head .Woo, woo woo, woo woo woo-woo woo.
- Wanna bet?
- I can't believe this day has finally come!
- No argument there.
- I could eat a horse, hooves and all!
- Have you ever had an original thought?
- You smell that? It's freedom.
- Why are you telling me?
- When you teleport to Dr. Kliener's lab from Nova Prospekt, you will meet up with Dog and go out and find Barney. Do not follow Dog out of the lab yet; wait until Dr. Kliener and Alyx start talking about getting another headcrab to replace Lamar (Dr. Kliener's pet headcrab). After Alyx suggests that he gets another headcrab, he replies, "There is only one heady." In the movie Blazing Saddles, the villain's name is Headly Lamar (whom is called Heady Lamar by some of the characters).
- Hedy Lamarr was a famous Austrian actor in the U.S. from the 1930's through the 1950's. Mel Brooks later claimed that Hedy Lamarr tried to sue the producers for the "Hedly Lamarr" jokes. Dr. Kliener's Headcrab was actually names after the "one and only Hedy Lamarr".
Half-Life logo reference
- Occasionally you will see the Half-Life Logo spray painted on a wall. One example is on the wall next the entrance to Dr. Kliener's lab.
- Note: Whenever the logo appears, there will be health, ammunition, or other pickups available somewhere around that area. The items may sometimes be hidden.
When you are in Dr. Kleiner's lab for the first time
(after Alyx beats up the CPs when you meet her), look for a post-it
note on the wall. One of these reads (roughly), "Find more
watermelon for Lamarr".
When you are on top of the dam at the end of the "Water
Hazard" chapter, you can see a town with destroyed buildings
under the sunset in the distance. This town is most likely Ravenholm,
considering the type of buildings and its relative location in
comparison to Black Mesa East.
Destroying the hunter chopper
Before reaching Eli's lab in the hydro plant, you must
have to get past the hunter chopper that has been following you
during most of the "Water Hazard" sequences. When you
reach two large rocks with a branch lying over them, stop. You
will see the chopper on its landing pad in the distance. Get out
of the airboat, enable the impulse 101 code and take out
the rocket launcher. Aim the laser pointer at the chopper and
fire all the rockets at it. Keep the laser dot on the chopper;
the missiles follow the laser. Repeat this six times. When the
chopper has taken eighteen hits, get back into the airboat and
go towards the chopper. It will take off, burning and critically
damaged. One burst from the airboat gun will destroy it.
After you finally get out of Ravenholm, you will go
through a tunnel-type area with tons of Headcrabs, past the mine
cart with the big spinning deathtrap, and finally see a light
at the end of the tunnel. You will exit into a train station.
Normally, you would go all the way down until some crashed trains
block you from going further, forcing you to go left into a fenced
area full of combine. Enable the noclip code and walk through
all the crashed trains. You come out in an open area with tracks.
In the middle of the tracks is G-Man with his briefcase. Regrettably,
you cannot talk to him or do anything else in this area.
The "all-knowing-Vortiguant" can be found
in another location. Enable the map d1_eli_01 code. After
the map loads, find your way inside the airlock. After the scanning
sequence finishes, you should see the right doors opening. Directly
in front of you will be a fence, and beyond it a blue pick-up.
Ignore Dr. Mossman, who is talking to you, and enable the noclip
code. Go through the truck and you will see a man in a blue shirt
with no eyes. Ignore him and go down the ramp down. On the left
side of the large space will be a Vortigaunt. Disable the noclip
code and talk to him as many times as you can to see that he is
Hang up combine or zombies
This cheat will allow you to "hang up" combine
or zombies. You will need the crossbow and a lot of ammunition.
Enable the notarget code to be undetected and find a combine
or zombie. Position them against a wall. By shooting the designated
spot (arm, head, leg, etc.), they will stick to the wall, if close
enough. Also, if you shoot a weird part, like the bone in the
leg, they will sometimes spasm.
At the beginning of the "Red Letter Day"
chapter, when you enter Dr. Kleiner's lab, to the left of the
entrance is a mini teleporter with a cactus on it. If you press
the E when standing in front of it, you can teleport an
object to the other teleporter, or receive an object from the
other teleporter. Try using different objects from around the
lab. (Screenshot 1)
Cycle previous weapon
Press Q during game play to cycle back to the
previous weapon that you had out.
Use the following trick to create an NPC with a weapon. You can use entries from the NPC list and weapon list, as follows. For example, type npc_create_equipment weapon_shotgun will create a shotgun. Then type npc_create npc_combine_s for a Combine Solder that will have a shotgun. Type npc_create_equipment weapon_smg1 then npc_create_barney to have Barney with a SMG. You will have to type npc_create_equipment weapon_<weapon name> each time you would like to create an armed NPC.
Spawn friendly turret
- Use this trick to spawn a friendly turret. Enter the npc_create npc_turret_floor code at the console window. Enter the ent_fire npc_turret_floor setrelationship "player D_LI 99" code at the console window. To make it friendly to others enter ent_fire npc_turret_floor setrelationship "npc_<name> D_LI 99" code at the console window. To make the turret fire at another figure, enter ent_fire npc_turret_floor setrelationship "npc_<name> D_HT 99" at the console window. For example, for the target to be the combine, enter combine_s in place <name>. A friendly turret will spawn when you exit the console window.
- You must create a file for this trick. You do not need to edit any existing file. Create a text file named "turret.txt" in the "\Half-Life 2\hl2\cfg\" directory. Note: If the folder(s) do not exist, create them. Have the following lines as the content of "turret.txt":
npc_create npc_turret_floor ent_fire npc_turret_floor setrelationship "player D_LI 99"
- Save the file. Rename the file to "turret.rc". Load the game and open the console window. Type bind * "exec turret.rc" and you can now press [Asterisk] to spawn a friendly turret.
Single headshot kills
When you first get off the train at the very beginning, stop. Enable the bind' < key> 'noclip code. Note: Try binding it to the "O" key. Continue through the storyline until you get to the area with four Combine soldiers standing around, telling you to get into the caged off area to the left. Go inside, but do not turn. You will see a Combine with a pistol on the other side of the gate, where it is totally dark in the left part of the area. Press the key you bound or type noclip and go through the gate. Type noclip again to turn it off. Enable the give weapon_crowbar code and hit the guard with the crowbar until he dies. Take his gun. Behind the guard is a Combine soldier at the monitors. Try out your gun on his head. You only have about 14 to 17 rounds, and this only works on guards that are there for show (the ones with the batons, etc.), and not the ones that attack you with weapons (for example, after they break down the door when you are on the rooftops and come after you). However, all the guards before the attic die when shot in the head once. When done in the caged area, use the noclip code to get back through and continue with the storyline. If you enable the give weapon_pistol code, it will also work. Any pistol will kill them with a single headshot, while anything else will do regular damage (for example, the knees of the guard).
Enable the noclip code. Go to Alyx and tap W
(Up) very slowly until you go through her head slightly. You can
see some of her hair. The hair creates a picture that resembles
Saddam Hussein. (Screenshot)
Created by Gigizhvania.
Strategy guides from GameFAQs