Max Payne (PC)
Additional difficulty settings
Successfully complete the game under the "Fugitive" difficulty setting to unlock the "Hard-Boiled" and The New York Minute settings.
Part 1: Prologue
- When you reach the part that where hear "The Flesh Of Fallen Angels", go into the room where you have to fight all of the henchman, but do not go into the circle. Run around the edges behind the curtain and pick up all the ammunition and painkillers. You can go to the parts that are not covered by the curtains but do not go anywhere near the circle in the middle of the room until you are ready to fight.
- At the part of the "The Flesh of Fallen Angels" when you have to defeat all the henchmen, use your sawed off shotgun. Run around the wooden stairs on the side, and hide there. The henchmen will go there, and you can pop out and shoot two of them without reloading. When you have defeated all of the ground henchmen, run around to the other side of the stairs but take the long way around because the henchmen on top have one moltov cocktail. Let them throw it at you. If you are running, your chances of getting hit by it are very slim. Be careful, as each one of the top henchmen have one moltov cocktail. If you just stand there you will die -- move around to avoid this.
Part 1: Chapter 1: Secret ammunition room
- When you get past the first part of the chapter with the men shooting the transit cop, go down the steps to the left. Kill the man with the shotgun. Then, go down the steps to the left and kill all those men. When you are finished there, look under the benches with the lockers on them. You will see some gas tanks. Shoot the top off them. They will explode and reveal a secret room down the hallway.
- When you reach the inspection car, there is a door near it. Go inside the door and you will find cupboards. Inside the cupboards are shotgun and Beretta ammunition.
Part 1: Chapter 1: Kill man with shotgun
When you go downstairs, there will be three men waiting;
two with pistols and one with a shotgun. In order to kill them,
you must kill the main with the shotgun first. He will take your
health down quickly. Jump and dive down the stairs then kill him.
Part 1: Chapter 1: Gas tankers
Go to the area where the inspection car is located,
where three men (one with a shotgun and two with Berretas) appear.
There are two gas tankers below the lockers. If you shoot them,
all the tankers in that area will explode.
Part 1: Chapter 2: Secrets
- Play Chapter 2 (Live From The Crime Scene) to find a secret lies in the center of the bank where you answer the phone. The alarm will be going off. Look up to see the alarm on the ceiling. Shoot it and Max Payne will say "Thank you."
- When you are running down one of the hallways, to your right you can see some "wanted missing person" posters The people on those posters are the game's designers.
Part 1: Chapter 2: Rats with guns
- When you start Live From The Crime Scene, throw a grenade in the hole directly in front of you. Then, keep going until you hear a bomb go off. Go up the stairs and wait, but watch the rats. If you wait long enough they will pull guns out of their fur.
- After getting the rats with guns, wait until they start shooting at you then throw a Molotov Cocktail at them for a surprise.
Part 1: Chapter 2: Ignored by enemies
On the Live From The Crime Scene level, when you get
the detonators, go to the door that you put them on but do not
kill the men. After you put the detonators on the door, stand
back and watch it fly. Kill the men, then walk in. Go up the stairs
were the men are supposed to surprise you. They cannot see you,
allowing you to shoot them. Note: Be careful about dying in the
explosion on the door..
Part 1: Chapter 2: Witness a murder
Get up two floor levels after the water place. You
will hear two men talking. If you wait, one of the men will shoot
the other one then walk away. Note: Do not show yourself or the
men will shoot you and stop talking.
Part 1: Chapter 3: Hidden ammunition
After you find Muerte's room, keep going to the where
the bathrooms are located, at the end of the hall. There are two
windows covered with dry wall. One of them will crumble if you
shoot it. After you destroy the dry wall, you can walk outside
of the hotel on a small balcony to another "dry wall window".
Destroy that, then jump into the room. You will find a plethora
of Molotov Cocktails, grenades, and ammunition.
rw, t sht tyi, im
Part 1: Chapter 3: Confused driver
PC After you kill the two men at the start of the level, you will be attacked by some other enemies that come through the door. After you kill them, go down the stairs and out the window. Once you are outside, look to your right, off the edge towards at the far street in the distance. You will notice a white car drive by. Enable the god code and jump down off the edge and onto the street. Run over to the area where you saw the car. When you get there, you will see that the cars you thought were going by are actually the exact same car. It just keeps turning around and going the opposite direction every time it hits the invisible boundary in the game. Note: You will be unable to complete the level if you do this, because you cannot get back up onto the building you started from.
Part 1: Chapter 3: Soap opera fan
Once the level starts, kill the man in the first room you see then go down the hallway until you must take a left turn. Once you get to that turn, go slightly down the hallway until you can hear the television that is in the little room off the hallway. Listen to the ridiculous soap opera, and after it is done you will hear the man who was watching ut say something that you will hear almost every soap fan say at least once.
Part 1: Chapter 5: Secret
After the shootout in the laundry, get into the elevator and you will hear music playing. Look up and shoot the speaker. The music will stop and Max will say "Thank you."
Part 1: Chapter 5: Avoid damage
When you go on the street and go past the newspapers,
you will see a van in the road. Shoot it so that the alarm goes
off, then hurry near the stairs that go down to enter the building.
Stay above the stairs, and off to the side. Three men will run
out. Pick them off as they come up. This can help you avoid damage.
Part 1: Chapter 6: Secrets
There are two secrets when you get to the basketball
court. Look up in the basket. There is a Beretta stuck in the
net. Then, go to the chain link fence next to the street. Wait
briefly and an SUV will pass by. Shoot it, the car will screech
to a halt, and a man with a shotgun will get out and shoot at
Part 1: Chapter 6: Soldier Of Fortune 2 room
After the room where the thug is in the washroom with a lead pipe, jump out the window onto the roof of a building. Walk around on the roof for a bit, shooting at windows. When one of the windows (in the top left corner) you shoot breaks, jump in. There are posters labeled "Soldier of Fortune II" and about three shotguns in this room.
Part 1: Chapter 6: Secret room
At the very beginning where the man is whistling while he goes to the bathroom, go outside of the window and immediately turn left. The last window on the side where you came out of has a room with a some shotguns and ammunition.
Part 1: Chapter 6: Ammunition room
PC When you reach the basketball court, go to the left
until you reach the first section of chain link fence on the left.
Enable the jump 10 code to jump the fence. Go through the
door to the left to get some Molotov Cocktails.
Part 1: Chapter 6: Bathroom message
When the level starts, go through it as usual. After you get on to the elevator and go to the next floor, get out and go through the door. Once the door opens, there will be a door directly in front of you. This is a bathroom. If you walk into the door and try to open it, the man inside will give you a message. Back up slightly and shoot at the door. He will give you another message.
Part 1: Chapter 6: Jumping to train
When chasing Vinnie, eventually he will jump on a train. Max will say that he has to do the same thing. Go to where the hill starts and with the correct timing, do the Matrix-style jump. If done correctly, you should land on the train.
Part 1: Chapter 7: Secret room
When you are chasing the man, go behind the satellite
dish then jump onto the ledge. Go onto the fire escape. Make sure
you do not fall. Try to jump on the fence or the side of it without
losing a life, then jump down. You will see a door. Enter to find
molotov cocktails, grenades, and ammunition. Then, get out of
the other door and you will end up under the staircase where the
men who were shooting at you on the roof are located. You can
kill them quickly.
Part 1: Chapter 8: Ammunition on the balcony
When you get past the room with the three men, there
should be two more as you enter the room to your right and one
man across the room to your left. This is the room with the music.
Go upstairs to where you can look down on the music room (you
should be able to launch fireworks). Go to the right side, towards
the speakers. You may want to save the game here. Jump onto the
ledge and then towards the speaker while moving left. There is
Ingram ammunition and more over there.
Part 1: Chapter 8: Play the drums
Go through the level until you reach the drum set.
The drum set will be near a sign that says "Choosers of the
Slain". Go behind the drums and pull out either a bat or
lead pipe and Max will play the drums.
Part 2: Chapter1: American flag boxers
After you enter the lounge with the green neon light
you will encounter three men. After you kill them, go to the bathroom.
There will be a man with his pants down, wearing American flag
Part 2: Chapter 2: Pass gate
When you get to the part by the shed, read the sign
by the gate. It reads "Caution. Use blocks when parking".
Look over to the other side of the gate. There will be a trailer
there. Take the sniper rifle and shoot the block from under the
trailer. It will start to roll and knock over the bridge. You
can now pass this area.
Part 2: Chapter 2: Fast level completion
PC Enable "Cheat mode". When you start this
chapter with all the cargo crates, there should be a man to your
right, whistling. Kill him, then turn around and go to the crate
that is white and has two 6s in red on the side of it. Enable
jump 10 code and fly to the top of it, then fly to get
on to the walkway. Go all the way to the right where you will
see three light poles. Enable the god code. Jump down,
and you will see all the men that you would have had to fight,
but they cannot see you. Go to the third light pole, where the
section of fence is located. Enable the jump 10 code again.
Go to the left and kill those men. Next, use the jump 10
code again and fly over the fence toward the trailer. Walk through
the door on your left to complete the level.
Part 2: Chapter 3: Fast level completion
PC Enable "Cheat mode". Shoot the men in the
room, then get on to the walkway. Go through the door by the box.
Shoot the man on the little crate moving machine. Enable the god
code, then jump down onto the ground. Run through the gap to the
left as if you were still in the machine. Next, run past all the
towers to your left. You should see a cargo ship. Run past it.
It may appear like a dead end, but keep running and you will appear
by the ship with the Boss on it. Enable the jump 10 code
to fly over the fence. Enter the ship and kill the boss to complete
Part 2: Chapter 4: Secret intermission
You will reach a kitchen area where it is safe from
the fire. It is possible to trigger a secret intermission sequence
by throwing a grenade into the open service hatch in the wall.
Part 2: Chapter 4: Easy completion
To see the doors among the flames and darkness in the
restaurant easily, increase the brightness to the maximum value
until you are past the flames and explosions.
Part 2: Chapter 5: Hidden area
There is a crane about halfway through this level that
you have to turn on to get past the big crate. You can get to
a secret room by first jumping up to the cab of the crane, then
jumping onto the door, then the roof. Jump on the arm of the crane,
then run to the end and jump to the crates to your left. There
are some grenades and ammunition located here.
Part 2: Chapter 5: Play the theme song
Find the room with the grand piano. Stand next to the
keys and press [Action]. If you did not hit the piano in
the gun fight, Max will play the theme song from the game.
Part 3: Chapter 1: Laser grid
There is a laser grid at the very beginning of this area. To get past this, simply shoot what the laser comes out of, but stand back because the explosion is big.
Part 3: Chapter 1: Secret ammunition room
There is a door which appears to go nowhere. The room has the big container pouring hot liquid metal in the middle, on the first floor in the corner is a sliding door, and some liquid metal in a pit. Use the cooled metal to jump across the pit and reach ammunition and pain killers on the other side.
PC Enable "Cheat mode". When you kill the men that are
in the room in front and to your left, go through the door where
you have to turn the valve. Then, go across the walkway into the
room with all the laser beams. Blow them up and continue out the
other door to the other side. You do not have to destroy these
lasers -- just watch out for the flames. Go around the corner
and kill the man. Then, face the door that the man was in front
of and enable the noclip code. Walk through the door and
get the hidden ammunition.
Part 3: Chapter 3: Killing all the enemies
In the start of the section, you will hear a group of soldiers planning to escape. You can take them all out by using the gas tank sutting on the shelf above. Shoot the valve off the end of the tank to send it off like a rocket.
Part 3: Chapter 3
At the end of the section is a tower that you must shoot off a building. Take out the wires on the pole, then just shoot a grenade at it.
Part 3: Chapter 4: Secret room
A secret room can be found on parking level 6. When you are starting to go down to parking level 5 you will see four gray barrels, jump on top of them. Next, jump onto the air vent, then jump to the roof. You should see a sort of a hut up there to your right. Shoot the light colored part of the hut and it should fall down. Go inside and you will fall through a vent in the floor. You can get ammunition and other items.
Part 3: Chapter 4: Programmer message
At the very start of the section are some green-blue barrels stacked up along the wall. Use them to get on the roof. Shoot at the metal shed up there and the wall will fall off, allowing you to jump down into a room. Turn on the radio to hear a secret message.
Part 3: Chapter 5: Hidden staircase
In Woden's office, their is a room after the one that
has the blueprints. In here is a small picture behind the desk.
Shoot the picture down to reveal a button. Press the button and
the couch in the corner will lift up, revealing a staircase. Go
down the stairs open the door. You will be able to watch Star
Trek on the television. Also look in a cabinet to find other items.
Part 3: Chapter 7: Easy elevator ride
To get up the laser-bomb elevator shaft easily, get in the elevator but do not push the button. Use the sniper rifle to aim up the shaft and take out all the bombs before going up.
Part 3: Chapter 8: Easy completion
After chasing the woman up the stairs and she gets in the helicopter, turn to your left and go up to the wire that connects to the red-lighted structure. Shoot it at the bottom and some enemies will attack. Shoot and kill them. The farthest enemy will have sniper ammunition. Return to the wire that you shot before, get the sniper gun out, crouch, aim, and shoot at the bottom of the wire on the other side. Then, shoot the red-lighted structure a few times and it will fall over.
Defeating the first Boss in the bar
Enter the bar, and after the graphical comic, the coward will run to the back room and leave the fighting for the woman and the other goons. Forget about the woman for now, as her aim is terrible. You should have a Molotov cocktail. There will be about three henchman on the left side of the room. Throw the cocktail at them for three quick kills. Then, charge at the woman with either the dual Berettas or the Desert Eagle. Once she is dead, kill the coward using the dual Berettas. Do not use the shotgun, since you can only fire once per bullet time dive. As soon as you open the door, do a bullet time dive and fire at him rapidly. As soon as Max completes his dive, do it again. Repeat this until he is dead.
Secret tutorial room
Play the tutorial until you reach the end, where you
can practice shooting enemies. Jump up on the big van located
there, then over to the ventilation fan on the wall next to the
van. From the fan, jump to the stairs and climb them to the top.
Break through the window. You will find an Ingram in the room.
PC Enable the god code and start Chapter 3, Playing
It Bogart. After you get out of the starting building, jump down
off the ledge. You will not die because of the code, and you will
be in what looks like the tutorial. There is a car there, but
it drives through you.
After you complete the game you will unlock a secret level where
all you do is kill a group of men with jackhammers. Once you kill
them all, go to the back wall of the room and go to the edge.
You can walk behind and enter a room with a picture of the game's
designers and some other random pictures
In the first nightmare that you enter from the girl
that poisons you, you must weave through your house. Eventually
you will end up in a black room with red lines all over that you
must walk on. When you are in the hall that leads to the red walkable
lines, run all the way down the hall. Keep running when you reach
the red lines. The line will turn right; do not follow it. Instead,
when you reach that corner jump off at a 45 degree angle to the
left. You should be floating through the black, but will see a
red line that turns like the one you previously jumped from. Try
to land on the corner where the line turns. If done correctly,
you can take the turn to your left and follow it to the end of
the black room, and back into a hall that looks like the one you
just left. Keep going and you should be able to finish the nightmare
without having to find your way through the dark room with the
- You will have to go through a maze where you have to find a baby. To get through this maze easily, just stick to right wall. You will end up in your house. After this, you will come to another maze that is not as difficult, but us easy to fall off of.
- When you get to the blood trail in the dark, you can jump across to the end of the maze. Run to the end of the straight trail, and at the first turn, jump across. You can now see the second door. Jump across again and you will be there.
Second bloody maze
- To get to the end of the second bloody maze easily, follow the trail until you see the first trail off the to the right far below. Jump down there and follow it right and you will see the candle platform in the distance to the right.
- When you get into the maze that is made of a trail of blood, walk until the path turns to the right, then stop. Turn to your left and you should see another part of the trail in the distance. If you jump correctly, you should land on this part of the trail with no problem. Turn around so that you can see what was directly behind you. It should be another trail. Jump to it and you should be at the other door.
- When you see a small box in some of the chapters, shoot it. Sometimes painkillers will be inside.
- When you get a painkiller(s), do not use them immediately. Wait until someone starts shooting you. This will help save health.
When you find boxes that are not very big or steel,
swing your baseball bat or lead pipe at it. This will open those
boxes easily without wasting bullets.
When you enter a room with a tripwire trap, toss a
grenade then exit the room. If you see a tripwire trap and do
not have a door behind you, take out your sniper rifle and shoot
it. Note: You can use any gun, but the sniper rifle/berreta is
recommended as you do not normally use them very much.
Reducing jump damage
If you jump from a medium height building with full
or half energy with Bullet Time, you will lose some energy, but
will not die.
Destroy elevator music
When you are in an elevator that is playing music,
aim up and shoot the speaker above you to destroy it.
Avoid getting shot in hotel
In the hotel, there is a room with a shotgun on a chair.
When you open the door, you will have about three seconds to move
or else you will get shot.
"Shut up" comment
Shoot two junkies (that sit down with their legs crossed in the white T-shirts) at the same time with dual Ingrams or dual Berettas. You will hear Max shout "Shut up!".
Followed by rats
On any level with rats, after you kill some enemies
the rats will automatically follow everywhere you go.
Flamingo television program
In part 1, you enter an apartment where a guy is "doing
his business". Jump out the window and you will see a television
across from where you are standing. Get as close as you can and
you will hear someone talking about an evil talking pink flamingo.
Ride gas tanks
There are explosive gas tanks on some levels. If you
find one lying down (normally used to open locked doors), enable
the god code and stand directly on top of the tank. Shoot
the tip of the tank, causing it to launch across the room, taking
you along with it.
Michelle Payne's ghost
Start the game with the -developerkeys command
line parameter. Play as Michelle and kill everyone in the house.
When you go up to your dead body, you will see Michelle crying
Evil ghost Payne
Start the game with the -developerkeys command
line parameter. There is a part where you see two hobos trying
to warm themselves up with burning garbage. Burn yourself to death.
Enable the god code and shoot one of the hobos. Do not
kill him. They will shoot back at you and scream in terror while
Max Payne laughs.
When you get the guard in Roscoe Station, quickly get
up to the keypad upstairs and stand in front of it. If done correctly,
you will see an intermission sequence, but the enemy misses the
guard. After that, he dies anyway.
- In Playing It Bogart, after going out the window, walk near the next door. The people will say that they will go to check on the Finito Brothers. Before this happens, go back inside and hide where the radio is located. Wait until they all enter Finito's room. They will stay in the room, not knowing where you are. You can either go inside and kill them all or leave them and continue.
- Go to the level where Alex is assassinated (in the second subway stage). Get to the point where you put the detonator in the door. Enable the god on and do not move. The door will explode, and since you are standing directly in the doorway, the FMV sequence of the door flying away does not happen. Alex is immobile and you can shoot at him. He bleeds, but does not die or move. Walk up the stairs, to find three gangsters standing there that will not react to your presence. You can shoot them, move around them, etc. Note: The four other gangsters up the stairs will move and attack you. Continue with the level and take a left turn. You will be able to see Max's killer. You can also shoot at him, but he does not move or die.
Ride non-available trains
Play the Roscoe Street Station level, where you will
have to find Alex and talk to him about Jack Lipino and his men.
When you exit the train and start the level, wait for the next
train to come to the station. When you see it approaching, press
[F5] to save. When it is near you, press [Shift]
+ W to use the Shootdodge and jump off the station platform
and dive into the front of the train. The screen will turn red,
indicating that you are dead, but it goes away. You are still
alive, riding in front of the train. Be careful not to fall of
the train, as it is very slippery. You will go deeper into the
tunnel with the train, and it will disappear. You will fall off
and land on the tracks. You will be stuck, but will not get hit
as long as you stay as far of the tunnel as possible. The next
train you see coming toward you will not hit you, but disappear.
You will be stuck. If you get smacked by a train already you will
return to the Roscoe Street Station Platform area.
Strategy guides from GameFAQs