More:Grand Theft Auto 4: Vehicles
Calling a taxi
In order to call a taxi, position Niko near traffic, preferably somewhere on the sidewalk. Spot a cab and press L1
PlayStation3 or LB
Xbox 360 . Niko will automatically call out for a taxi. It is also possible to order a taxi with the cell phone if you have problems spotting one. Additionally, Niko can eventually earn the ability to call a limo as you progress in the game.
You can also approach a taxi that already has a fare from the passenger side, then pull out the passenger and get in.
Fast taxi travel
To avoid wasting time driving all the way across the city, call a taxi. They will take you to your destination for your mission, stores, safehouses, or even a waypoint marker. You can skip through the taxi ride, allowing you to travel across the entire city in about ten seconds. This can also be done during missions.
Free taxi ride
- Get in a taxi. Do not skip the ride after choosing your destination. Just before reaching your destination, hold [Fire] to start a drive-by shooting. The driver will abandon the taxi, and your ride will be free. You can also kill the fleeing driver to actually get money for the ride.
rgvna tra brmh
- When near a taxi, whistle for it. If no taxi pulls over and stops to wait for you to get in, keep whistling or chase one. Hold [Enter Vehicle] to get in as a passenger. Do not just press and release [Enter Vehicle] or you will end up taking over the taxi. Once inside, choose your destination. It is best if you marked a waypoint on your map leading to that location. Check your map frequently to see how close you are. About three-four blocks away from your destination, take out any gun and shoot the side window next to you. Shoot randomly at cars and people. If done at the correct time (not too close or far away to your location), a cop will appear and begin shooting at your taxi driver. If all is accomplished properly, you will not have to pay a fare for the taxi.
Calling emergency vehicles
Dial "911" on your cellphone. You will reach a voice menu that will allow you to call the police by dialing "1", an ambulance by dialing "2", or a fire truck by dialing "3". Select the vehicle of your choice and wait for them to arrive. The will stop and look around for the emergency, allowing you to easily steal their vehicle.
Shoot fire truck water cannon
Steal a fire truck. Press [Shoot] while driving it to fire the water cannon at the pedestrians.
Self-healing fire truck
If your fire truck catches on fire, use its water cannon to put out the flames and prevent it from exploding.
Change police siren
Get in a police car and turn on your sirens. Hold [Horn] and it will cycle through alternate siren sounds until released.
- Hold [Accelerate] + [Brake] to do a burnout. If you keep doing this, the smoke will change color and eventually your tires will burst.
- If you do a burn out long enough you will blow out your back tire(s). In a car, go left until you see lots of smoke then go to the right.
Gain some speed in a car and hold [Handbrake] until you have completed a full 180. Just before you complete the 180, release [Handbrake] and hold [Brake], which will spin you the next 180 degrees. Obviously you will end up facing the direction you were before the attempt. However, some vehicles cannot do this. Also with some vehicles holding [Brake] will spin you back the way you came while using the handbrake, resulting in back-to-back 180s.
Turn off vehicle
Simply pressing Triangle
PlayStation3 or Y
Xbox 360 when in a vehicle will cause Niko to immediately exit it. However when your vehicle is stopped you can hold Triangle
PlayStation3 or Y
Xbox 360 to turn off your car before Niko gets out of it.
Turn off engine and set emergency brake
While driving any vehicle, come to a complete stop and hold the Triangle
PlayStation3 or Y
Xbox 360 for two seconds. You will hear Niko set the emergency brake and shut off the engine. If you are running headlights, he will turn them off as well.
Note: A PCJ 600 or NRG 900 is recommended for this trick. To drive it faster, accelerate. Just as your bike is about to shift into third gear, tap the Left Analog-stick repeatedly about every second. Do not tap it too fast or you will lose rear tire grip. If done correctly, the engine will gradually get near to the end of its last gear. When it gets to the end of its last gear, the revs will jump to indicate that you are traveling at the bike's top speed.
Get any car. When you get to the race, wait until the race starts. Immediately after it starts, shoot out at least one tire on each car, but make it quick.
Get in a boat and search along the water between Alderny and Industrial island to find a tug boat parked in front of two barges. Get near it, then jump on it and press [Enter Vehicle] to steal it.
Steal cars fasters
When you are being chased by the cops and you see a car you want to steal, instead of waiting for Niko to break the car window take a gun out and shoot at the driver's or passenger's side window and he will just get in the car.
Get any vehicle from any mission
During transport missions, there will be some cars, boats, or planes that can only be used in that mission. Just kill the person that is with you in the vehicle and it will be yours to keep.
No helmet on motorcycle
Use the following trick to ride a motorcycle without Niko wearing a helmet. Tap the Triangle
PlayStation3 or Y
Xbox 360 at any point during the animation where he puts the helmet on, but before the helmet actually appears. Doing this cancels the animation and Niko will not wear his helmet. If you wait too long and press that button after the helmet has appeared in Niko's hand it will still cancel the animation, but the helmet will immediately appear on Niko's head.
PlayStation3 or RT
Xbox 360 when you are getting on a motorcycle. You will drive once Niko has started the motorcycle, and "forget" to wear a helmet.
Staying on trucks
Once you jump on a truck keep tapping the [Jump] and Niko will stay on. Note this does not work all the time, and if he falls he loses a small amount of health.
When in a helicopter, preferably the police one, enable a code to spawn a car. The car will either float in the air motionless, fall at high speeds, or hit your rotor and spin off.
Avoid paying tolls
- Use any emergency vehicle, turn on the sirens, and drive through the toll booth at any speed. The booth attendant will open the gate and you will have saved $5.
- Ride a motorcycle to the side of the pay toll wall. You will not pay a toll if you can drive through the small gap on the sides.
- When in a car or a motorcycle, drive up to toll booth. Stay on the far side of the booth. Niko will stick his arm out, but not put money in the basket. The gate will still open.
- Use the following trick to avoid paying a bridge toll without gaining two stars. When you reach the toll booth on the bridge to the next island, slow down near it (but not to close). Push the car in front of you until the toll booth arm falls. Then, go around the car you pushed. Note: This works most of the time.
Honking traffic jam
- Drive up to an intersection and start honking your horn. Other cars will join in the fun and honk as well. Get close to a police car and honk your horn. They will run their siren to honk with you.
- When stopped in a car in a large traffic jam, tap out the rhythm of the musical phrase "Shave and a haircut" on your horn. Another car in the traffic jam will answer it with the standard two beep "two bits" response.
Steal a luxury car with a GPS with a female voice. She sometimes makes the "bing bong" notification sound herself while giving directions. For example, "At 100 yards, turn left." At the junction, she would say "bing bong" instead of an actual beep.
License plate messages
Certain vehicles have funny notes on their license plates cover or broder. For instance the "Ruiner" 1980's Camaro clone has the saying "Ruining Imports Since '67".
While in a vehicle, if you drive over a health pack, your health will be restored and any damage to your car will fully repaired. This is very useful while playing online in a car that has caught fire.
Use the following trick to get your vehicle painted to the color of your choice. Go to any Pay 'n' Spray and have them fix your car. It costs $100, but if you drive back out then back in without hitting anything, they will give you a free paint job. Repeat this until you get your favorite color.
- If your vehicle breaks down and cannot start, call any number saved in your cellphone or "911". Your engine should start again.
- If your car breaks down, you can hit it with a baseball bat to get it started again.
Extinguish your own vehicle fire
If your vehicle catches on fire, run over a fire hydrant. Position your vehicle over the spouting water to extinguish the flames before it explodes.
High beam headlights
To turn on the brights in a car, hold Square
PlayStation3 or LT
Xbox 360 for a moment. The bright lights turn on, even in daytime.
Keeping more cars
At the start of the game it would appear that you can only save two cars parked in the "Residents Parking Only" parking spaces in front of your safe house. However if you can find other "Residents Parking Only" places around the city, you can also save cars there even if you do not have a safe house at those locations yet.
- Outside your first safehouse is a small parking area marked with "Residents Parking Only" signs to park your vehicles and save them. Do not park your vehicles fully within the lines. You can park vehicles partially within those lines to have more vehicles parked and saved there.
- If you attempt to use the trick to keep more than two cars in any one parking space, it will only work up until you leave the current game session. If you shut off your system, play a multiplayer game, or load your most recent save, all but two of your cars will have disappeared. It seems to either save the two cars closest to the center of the parking space, or save two at random.
To save a helicopter, land it in the space for cars in front of a safehouse.
The following vehicles can be found in the game.
- Blista Compact
- PMP 600
- Roman's Taxi
- Sabre GT
- Sultan RS
- Super GT
- SUVs, vans, and trucks
- Cavalcade FXT
- Huntley Sport
- Mr. Tasty
- Noose Patriot
- NRG 900
- PCJ 600
- Helitours Maverick
- Commercial and emergency vehicles
- FIB Buffalo
- Police Cruiser
- Police Patrol
- Police Stockade
- Sky Tram
- Subway Tram
- SWAT Van