Thief: Deadly Shadows
Note: This procedure involves editing a game file; create a backup copy of the file before proceeding. Use a text editor to edit the "default.ini" file in the "system" folder in the game directory. Find the [Difficulty] heading, then change the following values of the indicated lines for the corresponding difficulty setting. Using 0 as a value usually disables that attribute. Start a new game to play with the added effects. This cannot be used with an existing saved game.
- AI visual acuity multiplier for how well the AI can see.
- AI auditory acuity multiplier for how well the AI can hear.
- AI tactile acuity multiplier for how well the AI can feel.
- AI hitpoints multiplier for the AI starting hit points.
- AI-to-player damage multiplier for how much damage the AI takes.
Getting to the sunken Citadel in the docks
When you first arrive at the docks, go towards the
store. Stop immediately after you pass the Quarantine gate. There
is a box in front of you. Destroy it. Go down the ladder and follow
Defeating Keeper Guards
Use a mine or be extra careful when sniping Keeper
Guards. If sniping, you must hit them in the back of the head.
If you are stealthy enough, you can try backstabbing them, because
the blackjack has no effect on them.
If a Zombie is unaware of you, a single flashbomb will
kill it. If it is aware, two are all that is required.
Defeating the undead
If multiple undead or Hammer Haunts are on a floor,
toss down a Holy Water into a doorway. Then, lure the undead to
chase you and run across the holy water. The undead will follow,
killing themselves on the Holy Water. This is a good way to conserve
Docks: Getting rid of guards
Throw an oil bomb at the end of the dock by the water.
Then, get in the shadows and shoot a noise maker arrow by the
oil. When they run to see what made the noise, they will slip,
go into the water, and die.
Fond Memories of the Cradle
Note: "Memory" is in cradle's memory aspect,
as inmate with staff roaming the halls. "Normal" is
when Garrett and puppets roam the halls. -Once you have talked
to Laurel in the attic you can decide to skip sneaking around
with the toys by closing yourself in the cell and using your arsenal
against the staff. -You can avoid racing through your arsenal
by using the knife to backstab the puppets and staff when they
are not looking. Staff will keel over and when dead, puppets back
off. Quick save and directly hit them with flashbombs after stabbing
them to keep them down. -Instead of grabbing and using one toy
at a time, grab all the toys. You now can enter or leave the memories
at will at any of the special spots. That way, you can avoid losing
the toys by going back to "normal", going to the special
spot nearest to your destination, and entering "memory"
there. You can ease you journey through "memory" by
picking and opening all the doors and leaving traps such as mines,
holy water puddles, or burning oil puddles while in "normal"
before crossing over to "memory". For example, in the
lobotomy theater where you get the dissolution serum, make a holy
water puddle between the stairs and operating table. When you
go into "memory", the staff worker patrolling around
the table will walk into the puddle and keel over, making it easier
to get to the serum.
Go to a fence that buys metal and sell all of your
loot. Go to your landlord's stash nearby Heartless Perry. Get
the purse of coins (worth 50 g), then go around town and pickpocket
purses from unsuspecting citizens. Whenever you get a purse it
will say it is worth 25 g, but it will actually be worth 50 g.
You can only do this once a night. Collect as many purses as you
can. Once you sell those purses to a fence, any other purses you
collect that night will be worth their regular amount.
lsi, w itewtrfva
Easy faction increase with Pagans
Buy about 15 fire arrows. Get at least one of each
of the other elemental arrows (water, moss, and gas). You can
get a gas arrow by climbing the wall by the Pagans that are standing
by the note from Shaman Dyan. Note: Climbing gloves are sold in
the store at the Docks for 2,000 gold. Go to the Pagan territory
in the Docks, but make sure you are already neutral with them
so you will not get attacked because the fire arrows make a lot
of noise and produce a massive amount of light that you cannot
escape from. Stand anywhere outside of the entrance to the territory
so you can get a shot at the elemental cocoon (the two big tusks
sticking out of the ground with blue orbs strapped to them). Shoot
one of each of your elemental arrows at it, as described in the
"Notes" section of your goals. After that you can use
the fire arrows and continue shooting the cocoon with them and
gain faction. Do this until your status with the Pagans is "Allied".
You can now enter the Pagan territory without getting mauled.
If you try to use any other arrow besides the fire arrows, the
Pagan standing by the boxes will comment "You be a fool",
therefore hinting that you cannot use that arrow again yet.
- Save the game, fool around with your equipment on what it does, how you can use it, and how it works best. For example, always load up on items commonly used but save 2000 to 3000 for the odd item.
- Puddles dry up shortly after an NPC reacts to it. Either use more than one bottle or get a group to enter the puddle together. Holy Water may stop one undead from passing through, but the second can get by after puddle dries up from first undead. Aim carefully; hitting an undead with Holy Water directly will hurt it, but having the puddle under it will finish it off.
- Water Arrows hitting an outer edge of a Moss Arrow carpet will spread the carpet much farther. Moss Arrow at someone's mouth will keep them busy choking long enough to slip by without attracting attention or wasting Flash Bombs.
- Save before sneaking around Hammer or Pagan sites. If you can move around without being seen or detected, you can steal items without getting penalized. Otherwise if you are running haphazardly, they will know that you took it and you will lose faction status.
- Do not be seen around any corpses or puddles of blood. Even if an NPC killed the body, you will still be blamed and hunted down for it.
- The docks great place to make bodies disappear in water, although this will kill unconscious bodies.
Strategy guides from GameFAQs